The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm Joe. Well, actually, I'm NUMSiiteru, but I'm fine with either.
I'm into computers, specifically the software side of things. Also, I watch weirdo crazy Japanese shows from time to time.
You know how people believe their lives are decided by horoscopes? It's weird, but I think similarly - I believe your personality type is what decides a lot of who you are. I'm INTP, so I'm quiet, slightly mad, and much on the antisocial side.

But, anyways! I'm taking Maths, Science, English (the big three, I call 'em) with 'IT Practioners', Geography, Media, and French on the side. My school started gearing us up for GCSE in Y9, so the transition to Y10 was fairly easy for me. Except when I dislike the teachers and classes. But that's sorted now. My school calls me a 'high flyer', giving that as a reason for almost all my targets being the epic, the wonderful, the scary, Grade 9.

I've been slacking for some time and bascially hit a brick wall. I haaate revising, but after being stuck in Grade 6 limbo for essentially all of Y10, I've come to a decision that it's time to step up. Also, I was just aiming for Grade 7s and 8s, taking a more relaxed approach to the year. But, that's going to change! After realising my fall from glory since Y7, I think it's time to get back in the game. The absolute best in the year, that's my goal. Seems quite high, but aiming as high is possible is good, no? I'm going to go against geniuses, and totally two-foot them. That's my motivation.

Good old Maths and IT are definitely my favourites, although it's a pain that my school doesn't focus on IT that much. For a bit of revision, I'll go and pop out a few of those Maths past papers this half-term holiday. Dream career? Always wanted to make games, but software development apart from that would be a good challenge. And dream uni? Not sure yet, but I live on the Southampton suburbs, so that's most likely where I'll go. If I can afford it, that is. Also, if my stress levels don't max out and kill me before that! I don't even know what college I'll go to yet!

So, second half of Y10, bring it on! I'll tackle everything you've got! As long as I don't succumb to the laziness!
Guys, have u got any tips for Science and Maths revision ! I really don't want to start falling behind && have I missed any key things discussed on this thread I havent been active on here since ending of last year tbh ! As I am going to start doing a lot more revision, I will be more active on here.
Reply 782
Original post by NUMSiiteru
Hey, I'm Joe. Well, actually, I'm NUMSiiteru, but I'm fine with either.
I'm into computers, specifically the software side of things. Also, I watch weirdo crazy Japanese shows from time to time.
You know how people believe their lives are decided by horoscopes? It's weird, but I think similarly - I believe your personality type is what decides a lot of who you are. I'm INTP, so I'm quiet, slightly mad, and much on the antisocial side.

But, anyways! I'm taking Maths, Science, English (the big three, I call 'em) with 'IT Practioners', Geography, Media, and French on the side. My school started gearing us up for GCSE in Y9, so the transition to Y10 was fairly easy for me. Except when I dislike the teachers and classes. But that's sorted now. My school calls me a 'high flyer', giving that as a reason for almost all my targets being the epic, the wonderful, the scary, Grade 9.

I've been slacking for some time and bascially hit a brick wall. I haaate revising, but after being stuck in Grade 6 limbo for essentially all of Y10, I've come to a decision that it's time to step up. Also, I was just aiming for Grade 7s and 8s, taking a more relaxed approach to the year. But, that's going to change! After realising my fall from glory since Y7, I think it's time to get back in the game. The absolute best in the year, that's my goal. Seems quite high, but aiming as high is possible is good, no? I'm going to go against geniuses, and totally two-foot them. That's my motivation.

Good old Maths and IT are definitely my favourites, although it's a pain that my school doesn't focus on IT that much. For a bit of revision, I'll go and pop out a few of those Maths past papers this half-term holiday. Dream career? Always wanted to make games, but software development apart from that would be a good challenge. And dream uni? Not sure yet, but I live on the Southampton suburbs, so that's most likely where I'll go. If I can afford it, that is. Also, if my stress levels don't max out and kill me before that! I don't even know what college I'll go to yet!

So, second half of Y10, bring it on! I'll tackle everything you've got! As long as I don't succumb to the laziness!

I'm an INTP too! Many of the greatest geniuses of all time were INTPs, so cool for us, I guess? Hahah.
I've been able to do all my work so far without effort and have managed to get consistent 8s (never really dipping below 7) but like you I have now taken the decision to step up a bit as I want a 9 in as many subjects as I can, and so far it's worked. Revision is surprisingly easy to get into once you start, I've found.
Reply 783
Hi, I'm Roha. I'm currently in year 10 and am doing the RE GCSEs this year. I'm not too nervous about it since it's the old gcse but I'm worried about the other subjects I'm taking since they're all really new.

My subjects are:
Biology (EDEXCEL)
Chemistry (EDEXCEL)
Physics (EDEXCEL) (I'm doing triple science)
History (AQA)
Spanish (not sure)
English lit (not sure but we're doing An Inspector Calls, Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde)
English Lang (not sure)
Maths (EDEXCEL)

So that's 9 or 10 GCSEs all together.
I'm not currently finding English too difficult but am really freaking out about maths because it's gotten so much harder. I'm actually worried I'm gonna fail since I want to be a doctor and the lowest grade I want for anything is a 7, but I have a feeling I'm going to fail some of the subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 784
Original post by Stephaniex
Guys, have u got any tips for Science and Maths revision ! I really don't want to start falling behind && have I missed any key things discussed on this thread I havent been active on here since ending of last year tbh ! As I am going to start doing a lot more revision, I will be more active on here.

I usually just make post it notes and stick them around my room. I'm doing triple science and we have to do so many tests for that 🙄🙄. For maths I guess I would suggest past paper questions, they always seem to help. Or mathswatch.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm taking:
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
English lit
English lang
French
Latin
Music
History
I'm taking all of them at the end of year 11. I haven't been given predicted grades yet but I go to a academically selective private school with very good grades so hoping I will do well.
Just took my first set of mocks and I have another one after easter :frown:
How much homework does everyone get?
I usually get set about 4 hours work a night from around 5 different subjects but it varies. I really want to do well but I can't find any time to do extra work on top of my homework and extracurricular activities. I'm completely burnt out already.
Reply 786
Original post by megan barker
I'm taking:
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
English lit
English lang
French
Latin
Music
History
I'm taking all of them at the end of year 11. I haven't been given predicted grades yet but I go to a academically selective private school with very good grades so hoping I will do well.
Just took my first set of mocks and I have another one after easter :frown:
How much homework does everyone get?
I usually get set about 4 hours work a night from around 5 different subjects but it varies. I really want to do well but I can't find any time to do extra work on top of my homework and extracurricular activities. I'm completely burnt out already.

I get quite a lot of homework per week and it's usually science because I'm doing triple science and the teachers expect quite a lot from us. I have an RE exam in May and also have science mocks that are being sent by the exam board and being marked by them too. These will decide our tiers for next year.
I don't think you need to revise too much at this point but maybe if you can squeeze in half an hour every other day it could be beneficial, it just helps you remember everything. Or you could have one day a week where you go over what you have done, whatever works for you 😊. I'm doing all of my GCSEs except for my RE in year 11 too and I'm really nervous about maths as it's not exactly my strongest subject.
Ay question RQ so if a guy askes his girl for slops is that disrepectful

sorry if it weird had that debate in school
Reply 788
Original post by Samson Ayorinde

Raah😭😭😭😂, well when I think about it, why would it be😓
Reply 789

Idk if "disrespectful" would be the word but "impolite" is definitely applicable.
Original post by R_S30
I usually just make post it notes and stick them around my room. I'm doing triple science and we have to do so many tests for that 🙄🙄. For maths I guess I would suggest past paper questions, they always seem to help. Or mathswatch.

ooooo thanks I am now making more flashcards and I definetley need to start doing more past papers.
This may sound nerdy or something, but the best way to get through the next two years is to do homework the day you get it. (Yes I know what the hell)
My school is particularly picky with homework and we get quite a lot but using this method means you actually have time for your social life.

I'm taking French Geog Music Art History
with Triple Science English Lang/Lit Maths(fast track)

It's quite rude, especially if it's the first time 😂
Hi, I'm currently in year ten and not taking any GCSEs till next year except Mandarin which hasn't been reformed yet so i have controlled assessments yay.
I'm taking:
Maths (probs ad maths as well)
Triple science
English language and literature
French
Mandarin chinese
Music
History
All exam boards are edexcel except English which is AQA.
My school aren't giving anyone predicted 9 grades but I am expected to get 8s in every subject.
How would you guys recommend revising history and english ? I don't have a good history teacher and I'm currently no where near my preducted grade in English (grade 4 in last exam)
I have a mandarin controlled assessment next week and I need to revise but I find it so hard to prioritise what I need to do. I've made a timetable and tried to stick to it but i find it so boring. Is there a way I can make revision more interesting?!
am doing a mock soon but i dont know how to revise
I <3 jalph
Original post by Sardonic Zarah
It's quite rude, especially if it's the first time 😂

But would u ask ur girl to brush her teeth after slops
Reply 797
Hey guys, I just wanted to recommend Temple GCSE (an app on the iOS and android app stores). You do mini tests and build your temple - really well designed and the questions are brilliant too!
Good luck!
Hi lovelies :smile: first post on this thread. I'm really really really REALLY struggling to find motivation to revise anything.

This year I've got:
RS, edexcel (Unit 1 &8)
Law, AQA
German, AQA

For Y11 I'll have:
Chem, bio and physics as triple, AQA
Statistics, edexcel but tbc
English Lang and Lit, eduqas/WJEC
Maths, edexcel

My science is stressing me out. I want to do medicine but it's really testing me at the moment alongside all my subjects hahah
Reply 799
Original post by ethistu7
Hi lovelies :smile: first post on this thread. I'm really really really REALLY struggling to find motivation to revise anything.

This year I've got:
RS, edexcel (Unit 1 &8)
Law, AQA
German, AQA

For Y11 I'll have:
Chem, bio and physics as triple, AQA
Statistics, edexcel but tbc
English Lang and Lit, eduqas/WJEC
Maths, edexcel

My science is stressing me out. I want to do medicine but it's really testing me at the moment alongside all my subjects hahah

i get what you mean fam:redface: science is haard, what have you been getting in mocks?

Latest