Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the answer to part c) of this Statistics Question? watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20160824_061646.png
Views: 71
Size:  113.8 KB
    The image I have attached is for a question on data in Edexcel GCSE Statistics. For part c) the mark scheme says that the reason why the data cannot be plotted on a scatter graoh is because "The data is qualitative/non-numeric". If I said the data is discontinuous and therefore unable to be plotted, would I still get the mark?

Someone please help me! I really need a good grade!

ReputationRep:
    What are the defining features of a scatter diagram?
    What are the limitations?
    What type of information can it show, what type of trends and relationships can it show?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    The image I have attached is for a question on data in Edexcel GCSE Statistics. For part c) the mark scheme says that the reason why the data cannot be plotted on a scatter graoh is because "The data is qualitative/non-numeric". If I said the data is discontinuous and therefore unable to be plotted, would I still get the mark?

I don't know whether you'd get the mark but your answer is essentially correct.
    This is why it's good to do a lot of past questions. You know to write their version of the answer next time. Sometimes how you say something is very important in ensuring you get the mark.
    So basically, you're right but not quite addressing what the mark scheme is asking for. But now you know how to word it for next time!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    What are the defining features of a scatter diagram?
    What are the limitations?
    What type of information can it show, what type of trends and relationships can it show?
    Thank you for your response! I know all of those, but I don't think that discontinuous data can be plotted on a scatter diagram! Would I get the 1 mark for saying that it can't be plotted because it is not continuous data?

ReputationRep:
    It's discrete data so you will just end up with two bars in the gender sections (unless you believe that gender is a 'spectrum'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)

The gender of a person is categoric + qualitative data, whereas you need quantative + continuous data to plot a scatter graph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manoobsmatthew)
    It's discrete data so you will just end up with two bars in the gender sections (unless you believe that gender is a 'spectrum'.
    Thanks for responding! I understand that, but do you think I would get 1 mark for saying what I said?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.