Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Il be looking for a job more or less as soon as I start and get my time table (my maintenance loan just covers my accommodation). I want to know the best types of jobs but which will also let me have the holidays off so I can go home and be with my family.

ReputationRep:
    investment banking
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    McDonald's cleaner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephie22)
    Il be looking for a job more or less as soon as I start and get my time table (my maintenance loan just covers my accommodation). I want to know the best types of jobs but which will also let me have the holidays off so I can go home and be with my family.
    The easiest option would be to work in retail. Although alternative to this would be to work as a freelancer this way you can get holidays whenever you want. I know many students who are getting work through freelancing websites.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a student I worked in a call centre. I picked which shifts I wanted to do and could chose between 3 hour or 6 hour shifts over 7 days. Got time and a half on Sundays and after 7pm. Think it was £7 an hour which was big bucks back in 2009 haha. I didn't make enough to live off but it was a bit of extra money. It was very boring though.*

ReputationRep:
    For my first year of uni my loan didn't cover my rent and had to be supplemented by around £200 termly, so I didn't have much choice but to get a part time job. I work as a bartender at the moment and that fits really well with my uni schedule, because I have the days to work on uni stuff and then in the evenings I'll go to work, which brings in enough to see me through food, rent, etc. One thing I would say though is that while I really enjoy it, the hours are unsociable (I have to make sacrifices for things like nights out with housemates) but it's been a huge boost to my confidence working there are I've found chatting to people has gotten an awful lot easier. If you don't mind some late nights and a little extra tiredness I'd recommend bar work completely

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.