Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't find a similar thread and thought it would be good to talk and get to know a few people before we start.

My name's Harry and I will be studying Law with Criminology. I'd describe myself as being pretty easy-going and easy to get along with. Will be living in private accommodation so talking to people beforehand will probably make fresher's week easier to navigate.

I know a lot of people will be in the same boat and won't know anyone, so leave a reply and say hi :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himlack)
    Couldn't find a similar thread and thought it would be good to talk and get to know a few people before we start.

My name's Harry and I will be studying Law with Criminology. I'd describe myself as being pretty easy-going and easy to get along with. Will be living in private accommodation so talking to people beforehand will probably make fresher's week easier to navigate.

I know a lot of people will be in the same boat and won't know anyone, so leave a reply and say hi :-)
    I'm a 2nd year Law student at Derby - any questions, let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Ayyyy classmate. My name is Madeleine, and I'll be staying in Princess Alice court while studying Law with Criminology. Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any questions regarding the law side of things just ask! I'm going into 2nd year this September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem_Louise)
    Any questions regarding the law side of things just ask! I'm going into 2nd year this September
    Ok, well I guess the only thing I really want to know is what are the lecturers like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPH125)
    Ok, well I guess the only thing I really want to know is what are the lecturers like?
    As a whole the lecturers are fantastic! They are incredibly enthusiastic about their individual modules and are a supportive cohort of people.
    If you want to find any more course mates and get info on up and coming events join the Derby Law 16/17 fb page

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2nd year Law student at Derby - any questions, let me know!
    How many hours of lectures and seminars do you have each week in first year?

And how many hours would you say is a decent amount to spend on personal study. I read somewhere that generally you should double the amount of contact time you have each day on your own studying to be reaching 2:1 and 1:1? Would you say that's about right?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPH125)
    Ayyyy classmate. My name is Madeleine, and I'll be staying in Princess Alice court while studying Law with Criminology. Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey classmate! I can't wait either. It's only one week to go on Monday so I'm starting to get pretty exited now.

ReputationRep:
    How many hours of lectures and seminars do you have each week in first year?

And how many hours would you say is a decent amount to spend on personal study. I read somewhere that generally you should double the amount of contact time you have each day on your own studying to be reaching 2:1 and 1:1? Would you say that's about right?

Thanks.
    Last years timetable was like this for me:
    Monday - off
    Tuesday - 2-5pm sometimes until 6
    Wednesday - 9-11am
    Thursday - 5-7pm
    Friday - 10-11/10-12 depending on how many tutorials

I'd say you definitely want to atleast double your contact hours. You're looking at 10hrs a week per module outside of lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Last years timetable was like this for me:
    Monday - off
    Tuesday - 2-5pm sometimes until 6
    Wednesday - 9-11am
    Thursday - 5-7pm
    Friday - 10-11/10-12 depending on how many tutorials

I'd say you definitely want to atleast double your contact hours. You're looking at 10hrs a week per module outside of lectures.
    So that's all contact hours, plus 10-plus hrs per module on top of that? Sounds like a lot of work haha

But I wouldn't have applied to do a degree in law if I wasn't prepared to put in the time. Just debating whether or not it's still a good idea to look for a part time job.

Thanks for the answer!

ReputationRep:
    So that's all contact hours, plus 10-plus hrs per module on top of that? Sounds like a lot of work haha

But I wouldn't have applied to do a degree in law if I wasn't prepared to put in the time. Just debating whether or not it's still a good idea to look for a part time job.

Thanks for the answer!
    Up to you mate, generally uni students, subjects like law in particular will give you sooo much free time, more than you need. So you just need to find that balance of the right working hours for a job and you're set

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.