Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry I know I've already asked a previous question but am still pretty stuck.

I missed out on medicine by 1ums in chemistry, so got AAB. I also missed out on an A* in bio by 1 ums (check my luck aha). I was diagnosed with depression this late Feb/March and it really affected my revision, but I dont think this was severe enough to be a migating circumstance and my school doesn't know about it (I think). I did work experience in the summer in a hospital and LOVED everything I saw, the blood, the operations and helping road accident patients, everything, and the idea of helping others helps me focus, you know?

Now, I got my remark back this morning and it didn't change. I don't know if I should send my other chemistry paper off for a remark. I don't know if I should resit chemistry because I feel like I did the best I could do in the headspace I was in last year, or how many papers I should resit (got a B in both). My UKCAT sucked last year (2350) anyway so I got no offers. I'm thinking of biomed then trying to transfer in the 1st year but it seems so difficult, an so is graduate entry. I would go abroad but there's the problem of brexit and the other universities abroad eg Cyprus joined to St George's cost so much money that I don't have but I don't know what else to do. I really can't take anymore disappointment and I feel like I'm going to slip back into the stupid place I was in earlier this year. Especially since the idea of travelling and volunteering abroad in this gap year really saw me through, and now I don't know if I will have the time to do that too.

I'm sorry this is a jumble. I haven't really ranted properly to anyone about this whole situation but yeah, does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Thank you.

Also, I did work experience before at a biomedical laboratory and pursuing a research career related to biomedicine is not something I can see myself doing as a career. I feel as though I would be so much happier in a hospital environment.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I sympathise for you... Good luck, hope you get the advice you need

ReputationRep:
    I believe that recent remark reforms have made it so that a mark can only change if it's obvious that the first marker didn't follow the marking scheme, because too many people had grades that changed drastically in the past.

I got an English paper remarked in the past and it went up by 7%. If I had that paper remarked today the mark would have remained the same even if the second marker would have awarded a higher grade on an independent remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred5134)
    I believe that recent remark reforms have made it so that a mark can only change if it's obvious that the first marker didn't follow the marking scheme, because too many people had grades that changed drastically in the past.

I got an English paper remarked in the past and it went up by 7%. If I had that paper remarked today the mark would have remained the same even if the second marker would have awarded a higher grade on an independent remark.
    Yeah, I was predicted an A* in my english exam panicked and ended up with a D, but still got an A overall because of my coursework and last years stuff, and didn't bother remarking because of the change to the rules. Why is everything happening this year though

ReputationRep:
    I think the remark rules are only really affecting subjects in which the answers are open to interpretation. Like English.

Chemistry should be fine. Why did you not send in all your exam papers for remark? Have all the chem papers you did remarked

If you're stil AAB, then you can either look at resitting and then applying to those uni's who don't mind resit candidates. You have some extenuating circumstances which could work in your favour (check with med schools).

Or do a Bio med degree. You can attempt to do the courses which transfer after year 1, but you can always do grad med after your bio med degree. Obviously there's funding/competition issues with these, but those are the options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAhm)
    I think the remark rules are only really affecting subjects in which the answers are open to interpretation. Like English.
    Why do you think that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...wn-on-remarks/

Students will find it harder to get exam papers re-graded this summer as Ofqual, the exam boards regulator, said it will only allow remarking if there are ‘clear errors’.

ReputationRep:
    Humanities students are more likely to be impacted by the changes where marking is more open to interpretation.
    That's why I thought. Subjects like chemistry/maths are less likely to have questions which are 'open to interpretation'. Either right or wrong. 2+2=4. There is no other answer to that. So I was thinking in terms of mistakes/errors whilst marking. Unlikely I understand but still worth a shot. I think someone else on the forum sent off all their chem papers for remark and said the UMS went up by 9.

Am I right in thinking this? Feel free to correct me, that's just how I understood the new rules.

ReputationRep:
    In the past it was much more likely that humanities subjects would come back with a different mark because almost all of the questions are subjective. Sciences would rarely change mark because either an answer is correct, or it is not. Of course essay type questions in sciences can still come back with a different mark on a remark, but they are not very common in sciences.

With the new changes no paper will come back with a different mark unless it's obvious that the first marker didn't use the mark scheme properly or didn't add the marks up properly.

ReputationRep:
    A guy from my school was in a very similar situation to you, missed out on his chemistry grade and medicine offer by a handful of UMS. He's now a 4th year at UCL, so don't lose hope.

First of all, I would collect documentation from your doctor about your depression diagnosis and write a piece about how this affected your studies. Forget the idea of 'severity' - you've said here that it affected you, so it is a valid extenuating circumstance. Universities may choose not to accept it, but that's a different story. Right now you need to do everything you can to help yourself.

Next, take a gap year and retake chemistry. It's hard to say which exams you should retake - often it's much easier to bump your grade by retaking the AS exams, but if you got As in those, then probably retake both B grades.

A number of universities will accept students who have done retakes, and more may consider you if you write to them directly explaining your depression and the fact that you missed your grade by 1 UMS. So email around and see what your options are.

Also, use your gap year wisely. Get more work experience, or even a job as an HCA to really strengthen your application

If you are sure that you want to do medicine then I would strongly advise against doing another degree right now. Undergraduate entry is always the easiest route if you can get in, and you still have a good chance on that front so don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    A guy from my school was in a very similar situation to you, missed out on his chemistry grade and medicine offer by a handful of UMS. He's now a 4th year at UCL, so don't lose hope.

First of all, I would collect documentation from your doctor about your depression diagnosis and write a piece about how this affected your studies. Forget the idea of 'severity' - you've said here that it affected you, so it is a valid extenuating circumstance. Universities may choose not to accept it, but that's a different story. Right now you need to do everything you can to help yourself.

Next, take a gap year and retake chemistry. It's hard to say which exams you should retake - often it's much easier to bump your grade by retaking the AS exams, but if you got As in those, then probably retake both B grades.

A number of universities will accept students who have done retakes, and more may consider you if you write to them directly explaining your depression and the fact that you missed your grade by 1 UMS. So email around and see what your options are.

Also, use your gap year wisely. Get more work experience, or even a job as an HCA to really strengthen your application

If you are sure that you want to do medicine then I would strongly advise against doing another degree right now. Undergraduate entry is always the easiest route if you can get in, and you still have a good chance on that front so don't give up.
    Thank you so much for your help. I'll speak to my GP and see what they say and yeah, I was planning to fill this year with that sort of work and more volunteering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.