Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I achieved AAA in History, English Lit and Religious Studies last week. (I attended a below average state school.)

Unfortunately this meant I missed my Cambridge offer to study law, having paid for remarks which came back exactly the same (due to new remarking standards I suppose.)
    I currently have an unconditional offer from Nottingham University for law to start in September which I am happy about but it's not something I really really want to do.
    I understand that many Oxford applicants for Law will achieve A*'s at A level and will have already done so. However I spoke to their admissions office and was told that as I have already met their law offer, if successful at interview and at LNAT I would be given an unconditional offer.
    I will be retaking English lit and potentially History exams if I do decide on a gap year but at the moment I'm just not sure whether I can stomach the risk.
    I do have a potential offer of an internship in my MP's office in the House of Commons from September at the moment.
    Any advice/anyone in similar situations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppycharlotte)
    I achieved AAA in History, English Lit and Religious Studies last week. (I attended a below average state school.)

Unfortunately this meant I missed my Cambridge offer to study law, having paid for remarks which came back exactly the same (due to new remarking standards I suppose.)
    I currently have an unconditional offer from Nottingham University for law to start in September which I am happy about but it's not something I really really want to do.
    I understand that many Oxford applicants for Law will achieve A*'s at A level and will have already done so. However I spoke to their admissions office and was told that as I have already met their law offer, if successful at interview and at LNAT I would be given an unconditional offer.
    I will be retaking English lit and potentially History exams if I do decide on a gap year but at the moment I'm just not sure whether I can stomach the risk.
    I do have a potential offer of an internship in my MP's office in the House of Commons from September at the moment.
    Any advice/anyone in similar situations?
    Can't comment on how strongly you feel for Oxbridge, but it is a risk to postpone uni for the year on the off chance you get into Oxford, but if you got into Cambridge you could do it! But it's just not guaranteed and Nottingham is a top 5 law school so if you didn't get Oxbridge next year you would probably end up at Nottingham anyway...

My sister is at Nottingham law (started last Sep) and absolutely loves it! She says the course is well managed and the university / campus is awesome! Check if you can still get uni accommodation as that's also a big thing if you have any specific q about the course / uni just let me know! Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.