The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehforum
Sounds like all of them.

I think I avoided applying to that firm because of that question!

-------------------------------------

To everyone: how many apps have you submitted/will submit by Jan 31st?

Thank you! Yeh the application is for Farrer. Its a horrible application form, one of the questions asks to detail any university prizes or scholarships won - I haven't won any... I'm leaving it blank and hoping it's not going to hurt my chances too much. But I think it'd be ridiculous if they write a candidate off because they haven't won a bloody uni prize?!

Also, by Jan 31st I'll have applied to 10 firms for vac schemes and 1 for a TC. Got 3 AC's so far, 1 VI and waiting to hear from the rest (haven't yet received a PFO but expecting them to roll in pretty soon hahaha, most of the ones I applied to are non-rolling)

Original post by kpkpkp99
IMO I feel like they are giving you an opportunity to talk about whether you've spent them volunteering or working etc. I'm guessing they just want a general idea/if you say something specific then mention between what years of uni. They probably want to know if you're using your time outside of term to work towards your career/end goals or whether you're just sitting at home. Whatever you have done try to find a way to show transferable skills you've acquired

Thank you! I suppose I'll talk about how I spend holidays in general and refer to specific examples in a couple of my holidays.

Original post by J-SP
University holidays - if you haven't been in employment when you have not been studying, what have you been up to.

I understood that part just wasn't sure if it was referring to the summer holiday just gone or just generally how I spend any uni holidays! Thank you though for responding :smile: I sorta know how I'll answer it now anyway!
Does anyone know what a Shearman & Sterling interview is like?
Original post by leeanthonyturner
I would really appreciate any advice on A&O (TC), Dechert (VS) or Skadden (VS) assessment centres! :smile:

i've got a skadden AC and would appreciate any advice on it too (:
Got an AC tomorrow - was wondering if partner interviews get very technical? Especially for someone who doesn't study law?
Has anyone heard from Shearman and Sterling?
Those who have skadden interviews, which dates are those falling on?
(edited 7 years ago)
do any one have anything from morgan Lewis yet?
Reply 2607
Has anyone received a PFO from Skadden yet? Is no news bad news in their case?
Could I safely say that if i hadn't gotten any AC invites thus far, I am going to end up with nothing this summer? Anyone in the same boat?
Original post by timeless.
Hey! How do you know Freshfields don't recruit on a rolling basis? Can't see it on their website...

I know they don't because I spoke to one of the HR reps who confirmed. However, it's been three weeks since the deadline, that's why I want to know if people have been receiving rejections/offers where TC's are concerned :smile:
Original post by diable.superbe
Those who have skadden interviews, which dates are those falling on?

There are 8 slots (Morning/afternoon) over 4 days between like the 28th/29th Jan (I can't remember which) and the 10th feb. Something like that anyway.
Original post by diable.superbe
Could I safely say that if i hadn't gotten any AC invites thus far, I am going to end up with nothing this summer? Anyone in the same boat?

no - calm :P still lots of time
Original post by Anthony I
Anyone heard back from Gowling WLG or Fieldfisher post tests completion? Completed all tests for both firms about 1-2 weeks ago, but still haven't heard from them whether I made it to the telephone interview.

Have not heard from Gowling WLG but have from Fieldfisher. They invited me to a telephone interview on Friday, I scheduled it for tomorrow. But they might be doing it in batches so not necessarily a rejection? I sent in my online application months ago.
Original post by likezerogravity
Does anyone know what a Shearman & Sterling interview is like?

Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your application? I applied in mid-December and still haven't heard back.
When did people hear back from Gowling to take the VRT?
Original post by Upshotespr
When did people hear back from Gowling to take the VRT?

about 2 weeks ago?
Original post by permanenthelp!
Got an AC tomorrow - was wondering if partner interviews get very technical? Especially for someone who doesn't study law?

It's certainly not going to get technical on law if you're a non-law student. All legal issues in partner interviews (in my experience) can be addressed based on some basic knowledge about the legal industry and/or business combined with some common sense. I really wouldn't worry. You might need some business knowledge (e.g. basic concepts like what is cashflow, what it does for companies etc.) but if you've been reading the business news, you should be fine.
Can I have some advice on the linklaters AC, I understand it is extremely technical
Original post by Actlaw
Has anyone received a PFO from Skadden yet? Is no news bad news in their case?

Nope - they'll probably send the rejects out in a batch
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Kirkland?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending