The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S1342714
Has anyone heard back from K&E or Shearman & Sterling? And if so, when did you guys apply?

I haven't heard back from K&E - but I applied on the deadline. Some people have done video interviews I think.

I had an interview at Shearman 10-12 days ago but haven't heard anything yet.
Just rejected by CC- direct TC (after video interview in December)
Original post by timeless.
I also just got the same rejection by CC after VI in Jan. Feeling very sad

Don't worry- who wants to work at Canary Wharf anyway :tongue:
Original post by Aspiringlawyer20
I haven't heard back from K&E - but I applied on the deadline. Some people have done video interviews I think.

I had an interview at Shearman 10-12 days ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Ah thank you! Hope it's good news for you. Did you apply to Shearman & Sterling also near the deadline?
Original post by S1342714
Ah thank you! Hope it's good news for you. Did you apply to Shearman & Sterling also near the deadline?

Applied late December
I find it slightly amusing that I seem unemployable by UK firms - just got rejected from CC and Linklaters in early Jan.
But I seem to be doing okay with the US firms - just finished a phone interview with W&C, completed video interviews with Weil and Kirkland and just got invited to Debevoise.
Anyone waiting to hear back from CC for TC in Dubai?
Haha so true, but that was the furthest I had got with apps so far. Have already completed the GDL, been applying for the last 2 years now. Admittedly, applied late this academic year as I sat my exams in Oct/Nov due to illness. Already been rejected from Ashurst, Macfarlanes, White & Case and A&O. Waiting on a lot but getting worried they will be PFOs

Hey don't worry, your situation is incredibly common. You're actually in a better position than me. After school I had depression (so started my undergrad 2 years late), then did the GDL and after 4 years of applying (yes FOUR) I've FINALLY got 2 vac schemes this cycle. And getting a TC is far from certain. At firms I meet NQs who are my age. I thought I was alone, and everyone gets a TC when theyre 19 or 20, but you'd be surprised there's so many people struggling. So many decide to give up and do something else, but I decided to persevere. Critically analyse where your going wrong and strengthen your cV by doing some work placements (law or non law), I did some whacky ones and they really liked them. Don't give up hope, if you carry on you'll get it eventually and it'll be that much sweeter than the fortunate ones that get it straight away!
Original post by Lawflightrisk
I find it slightly amusing that I seem unemployable by UK firms - just got rejected from CC and Linklaters in early Jan.
But I seem to be doing okay with the US firms - just finished a phone interview with W&C, completed video interviews with Weil and Kirkland and just got invited to Debevoise.

Weird isn't it? I had a friend who was rejected by not so great mid size firms, then went on to get offers from massive global US firms.

It is very unpredictable at times, I have been invited to MC firms' ACs but got rejected by a US firm at the first app form stage lol so yea
Original post by HistoryLaw
Weird isn't it? I had a friend who was rejected by not so great mid size firms, then went on to get offers from massive global US firms.

Maybe the mid-sized firms thought he was overqualified and would be a waste of a vac scheme/TC offer because he would just pick up a better offer haha.

Original post by vacschemestudent
It is very unpredictable at times, I have been invited to MC firms' ACs but got rejected by a US firm at the first app form stage lol so yea

It is very unpredictable. I think US and MC firms are looking for different attributes in candidates though. And besides, I did fill in those MC applications as a bit of an afterthought (I much prefer the Americans) so maybe it showed.

Just waiting for the Freshfields, HSF and NRF (its sort of British?) rejections and my theory that UK firms hate me will be proved correct!
Original post by hotliketea
really? summer VS? i don't think i do :s-smilie:

I applied to the Edinburgh office, which used to be a different firm last year so perhaps their process differs due to them still using the previous firm's procedure or something?
Original post by kusb
Do you know what the structure of the AC is like?

Not sure, I applied to the Edinburgh office and it seems I will be having an interview with gradrec and two partners, and I need to prepare a short presentation. I think it is different if you applied to another location, as in Scotland Clyde & Co took over a different firm last year so maybe their process is kind of a legacy from that?
BLP PFO.
Maybe the mid-sized firms thought he was overqualified and would be a waste of a vac scheme/TC offer because he would just pick up a better offer haha.

It is very unpredictable. I think US and MC firms are looking for different attributes in candidates though. And besides, I did fill in those MC applications as a bit of an afterthought (I much prefer the Americans) so maybe it showed.

Just waiting for the Freshfields, HSF and NRF (its sort of British?) rejections and my theory that UK firms hate me will be proved correct!

But given your profile I dont think you will get rejected from all of them at the app form stage, I am sure you will at least get 1!
Received Simmons & Simmons email today: I passed their tests but there is no space as AC days for now... :frown: Anyone had the same situation before? Does it mean I am out? Thank you
Reply 2696
Original post by tehforum
BLP PFO.

Sorry to hear. When did you apply?
So so sorry dude - probably due to get mine soon lol. Did you apply for a VS?

Original post by acc-21
Sorry to hear. When did you apply?

Yep.

Jan 20!

I don't think my answer for why international law at BLP was very strong. The rest of the app I think is good.
Reply 2698
Original post by tehforum
Yep.

Jan 20!

I don't think my answer for why international law at BLP was very strong. The rest of the app I think is good.

Huh. I applied early December and still nothing. We will see.

Good luck with the rest of your apps!
Original post by acc-21
Huh. I applied early December and still nothing. We will see.

Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Cheers.

I'm now wondering whether a bad mark in contract law is a factor....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending