The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
There's no point in applying to W&C's winter scheme now is there, given that the deadline is in 2 days? It seems like there have been lots of video interviews already so I guess I'll switch to the Easter/Summer application...
Original post by Anthony I
Sorry to hear that, but it's not certain until they get back to you!

Was the interview mostly strength based questions? Or did they test your commercial knowledge?

I heard from a Trainee at JD (during the Law Fair), that the interview usually takes one of those two forms.

A good mix of the two, to be honest. There were no 'why commercial law', 'why Jones Day' questions for me. They really focused on the CV (for example, they grilled me about a first year scheme) and then moved on to commercial issues.
Original post by _Fergo
A good mix of the two, to be honest. There were no 'why commercial law', 'why Jones Day' questions for me. They really focused on the CV (for example, they grilled me about a first year scheme) and then moved on to commercial issues.

I see thanks. You must be an exceptional candidate to be interviewed by JD in first place, so I am sure if that doesn't go as planned, there will be plenty of other options! Have you switched to applying for Summer VS now?
I applied 2 weeks ago for their Winter Vac and still nothing. Are you in a similar position? I heard their AC's were in November, so am not that positive at the moment.

Applied a week ago, but I thought things would be moving quite quickly with the winter ones.

To be fair, when I interviewed at Allen & Overy last year, they invited me to an interview two days before, so I wouldn't lose all hope.
Reply 584
Original post by _Fergo
A mess I think. Some parts were better than the others, but given how many people JD interviews there's no room for 'mistakes'.

Have you had yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, nope mine is soon! I've read it's pretty much commercial awareness based

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see thanks. You must be an exceptional candidate to be interviewed by JD in first place, so I am sure if that doesn't go as planned, there will be plenty of other options! Have you switched to applying for Summer VS now?

All my other apps are either spring or summer. In fact, I had asked JD if I could be reallocated to the spring scheme instead one day after the interview invitation, to which they said it will be noted.

Hoe are your apps going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Hit a small snag with the Clyde & Co application - in work experience, there only seems to be four slots? Does anyone know if you can add any more, or is that it?

Thanks, if anyone can answer I would really appreciate it!
Hey I was wondering what specific attributes you thought you had that made you stand out in an interview, as the interviewers must see candidates with very similar academic records and work experience.

Thanks!
Reply 588
Original post by Smiles(:
Hi when did you submit your application if you dont mind me asking?

3 weeks ago
Original post by tech10
3 weeks ago

Thanks, did you hear in between or was it a straight invite? still waiting to hear back, sigh!
Reply 590
Original post by JKRP11
I did the SJT yesterday! How long did it take the logic test to come through after that?

I did the SJT at like 11 pm and received the invitation for the next round the next day around noon.
Reply 591
Original post by JD74
I did the SJT at like 11 pm and received the invitation for the next round the next day around noon.

Wow they work fast!
Reply 592
Original post by JD74

Awkward, maybe I didn't take the test seriously enough haha. Hopefully something comes through tomorrow.
Reply 593
Original post by JKRP11
Awkward, maybe I didn't take the test seriously enough haha. Hopefully something comes through tomorrow.

I took a couple of days to take it after receiving it, so they might have looked at my application in the meantime and have only been waiting on the SJT results. (I doubt either my SJT result or my application was stellar enough for them to just send me through without a second thought).

Given that the deadline's very soon (in an hour?) they'll probably be very busy and there'll be a lot of marginal decisions for them to work through, as well as more and more people getting back to them with video interviews. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a PFO.
Can anyone help with BLP AC? Can trade with other law firms. PM me.
Original post by vacschemedude

When is your AC! :smile:
Reply 596
Original post by vacschemedude

PMd !
Just booked in for the Simmons & Simmons AC for the Winter Vac scheme on the 17th November. There was one on the 15th November available as well! Submitted my application around two weeks ago and completed the online tests and video interview last week of October!
Reply 598
Original post by J-SP
Quite common for there to be entry limits. Just prioritise your work experience as those you think are most impressive (isn't always the legal work experience).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Do you think listing volunteering experience alongside actual legal work experience is alright?
What sort of commercial questions are there in VS/TC interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending