The Student Room Group

A levels

So we don't have any more AS and we take exams at the end of two years does that mean we can resit or not ?
Original post by ameenatariq
So we don't have any more AS and we take exams at the end of two years does that mean we can resit or not ?

You may still have AS exams, it will depend on your schools policy and also whether your subject has changed yet.
If you have disappointing final A level results you can still resit but it will be all of the exams no just individual units and will most probably be as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
You will still have to sit AS exams at the end of your first year at college. Don't forget, your course could be linear or modular (linear = AS doesn't contribute to the final A-level grade, modular = AS does contribute to the final A-level grade). Even then, your AS grades are what your teachers will use to decide on your predicted grades, which are the grades that get sent off with your application to university. In terms of resitting, you can resit AS exams in your second year, but you will also be studying for your A2 exams in the second year, so it depends on if you will be able to handle the workload. Meanwhile, for A2 exam resits, it depends on your college. My college does not offer A2 exam resits, so if I wanted to retake my A2 exams, I would have to do it with an external centre. But at the end of the day, it depends on your college and their policies, so maybe ask them if you are seeking clarification.
Best of luck.
Original post by MemoryMind
Hi,
You will still have to sit AS exams at the end of your first year at college. Don't forget, your course could be linear or modular (linear = AS doesn't contribute to the final A-level grade, modular = AS does contribute to the final A-level grade). Even then, your AS grades are what your teachers will use to decide on your predicted grades, which are the grades that get sent off with your application to university. In terms of resitting, you can resit AS exams in your second year, but you will also be studying for your A2 exams in the second year, so it depends on if you will be able to handle the workload. Meanwhile, for A2 exam resits, it depends on your college. My college does not offer A2 exam resits, so if I wanted to retake my A2 exams, I would have to do it with an external centre. But at the end of the day, it depends on your college and their policies, so maybe ask them if you are seeking clarification.
Best of luck.

Okay thank you!
Original post by MemoryMind
Hi,
Best of luck.

My school let me take psychology as AS because I told them I would drop it and they said that's fine does that mean they haven't changed all the courses to linear?
My school let me take psychology as AS because I told them I would drop it and they said that's fine does that mean they haven't changed all the courses to linear?

No. Not all subjects have changed yet but for any reformed subject all examiners in England have changed to linear. There are optional AS qualifications available for all reformed A levels but any marks gained would not count towards your final grade if you chose to continue study to the full A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
No. Not all subjects have changed yet but for any reformed subject all examiners in England have changed to linear. There are optional AS qualifications available for all reformed A levels but any marks gained would not count towards your final grade if you chose to continue study to the full A level.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay but an AS is half an a level for psychology because that hasn't been changed
Okay but an AS is half an a level for psychology because that hasn't been changed

If you are taking your exams in England , psychology has been reformed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are taking your exams in England , psychology has been reformed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But my school is still using the old specification.
But my school is still using the old specification.

The last chance to sit exams under the old specification for the first time was this year. As you have only taken the AS you Cannot sit the A2 for the first time next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
The last chance to sit exams under the old specification for the first time was this year. As you have only taken the AS you Cannot sit the A2 for the first time next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't taken the AS, I just picked my a levels
No I haven't taken the AS, I just picked my a levels

Then if you are a state school student in England the rules are very clear. You will be doing the new specification and completing the AS exams in the new specification. You can't be entered for the old specification resit-only exams next year if you have not taken the exams in it this year unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness that prevented you taking them.

International A levels are unaffected by the reforms. A levels in Wales and Northern Ireland are undergoing independent reforms with different timescales and rules.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Then if you are a state school student in England the rules are very clear. You will be doing the new specification and completing the AS exams in the new specification. You can't be entered for the old specification resit-only exams next year if you have not taken the exams in it this year unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness that prevented you taking them.

International A levels are unaffected by the reforms. A levels in Wales and Northern Ireland are undergoing independent reforms with different timescales and rules.
Posted from TSR Mobile

But I asked one of the teachers when picking my a levels if I could drop psychology and get an AS and she said yes I can because they haven't changed the specification for psychology
But I asked one of the teachers when picking my a levels if I could drop psychology and get an AS and she said yes I can because they haven't changed the specification for psychology

Are you trolling?
Maybe you misheard or misunderstood what she explained.
Psychology has been reformed. You can choose to take an AS in the new reformed specification for every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you trolling?
Psychology has been reformed. You can choose to take an AS in the new reformed specification for every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But will you get a qualification for that AS in the new reformed?
But will you get a qualification for that AS in the new reformed?

Yes of course. If your marks are good enough you would get an AS qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Are you trolling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, its not the case for all subjects, for instance Government and Politics is not reformed and is still a modular subject in some schools.
Original post by _Hafsa
Actually, its not the case for all subjects, for instance Government and Politics is not reformed and is still a modular subject in some schools.

If you read the thread you would see that the point has already been made that not all subjects have reformed yet. The point that AS is available for all reformed subjects is true for all reformed subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest