Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So we don't have any more AS and we take exams at the end of two years does that mean we can resit or not ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameenatariq)
    So we don't have any more AS and we take exams at the end of two years does that mean we can resit or not ?
    You may still have AS exams, it will depend on your schools policy and also whether your subject has changed yet.
    If you have disappointing final A level results you can still resit but it will be all of the exams no just individual units and will most probably be as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    You will still have to sit AS exams at the end of your first year at college. Don't forget, your course could be linear or modular (linear = AS doesn't contribute to the final A-level grade, modular = AS does contribute to the final A-level grade). Even then, your AS grades are what your teachers will use to decide on your predicted grades, which are the grades that get sent off with your application to university. In terms of resitting, you can resit AS exams in your second year, but you will also be studying for your A2 exams in the second year, so it depends on if you will be able to handle the workload. Meanwhile, for A2 exam resits, it depends on your college. My college does not offer A2 exam resits, so if I wanted to retake my A2 exams, I would have to do it with an external centre. But at the end of the day, it depends on your college and their policies, so maybe ask them if you are seeking clarification.
    Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MemoryMind)
    Hi,
    You will still have to sit AS exams at the end of your first year at college. Don't forget, your course could be linear or modular (linear = AS doesn't contribute to the final A-level grade, modular = AS does contribute to the final A-level grade). Even then, your AS grades are what your teachers will use to decide on your predicted grades, which are the grades that get sent off with your application to university. In terms of resitting, you can resit AS exams in your second year, but you will also be studying for your A2 exams in the second year, so it depends on if you will be able to handle the workload. Meanwhile, for A2 exam resits, it depends on your college. My college does not offer A2 exam resits, so if I wanted to retake my A2 exams, I would have to do it with an external centre. But at the end of the day, it depends on your college and their policies, so maybe ask them if you are seeking clarification.
    Best of luck.
    Okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MemoryMind)
    Hi,
    Best of luck.
    My school let me take psychology as AS because I told them I would drop it and they said that's fine does that mean they haven't changed all the courses to linear?

ReputationRep:
    My school let me take psychology as AS because I told them I would drop it and they said that's fine does that mean they haven't changed all the courses to linear?
    No. Not all subjects have changed yet but for any reformed subject all examiners in England have changed to linear. There are optional AS qualifications available for all reformed A levels but any marks gained would not count towards your final grade if you chose to continue study to the full A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    No. Not all subjects have changed yet but for any reformed subject all examiners in England have changed to linear. There are optional AS qualifications available for all reformed A levels but any marks gained would not count towards your final grade if you chose to continue study to the full A level.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay but an AS is half an a level for psychology because that hasn't been changed

ReputationRep:
    Okay but an AS is half an a level for psychology because that hasn't been changed
    If you are taking your exams in England , psychology has been reformed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are taking your exams in England , psychology has been reformed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But my school is still using the old specification.

ReputationRep:
    But my school is still using the old specification.
    The last chance to sit exams under the old specification for the first time was this year. As you have only taken the AS you Cannot sit the A2 for the first time next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The last chance to sit exams under the old specification for the first time was this year. As you have only taken the AS you Cannot sit the A2 for the first time next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I haven't taken the AS, I just picked my a levels

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't taken the AS, I just picked my a levels
    Then if you are a state school student in England the rules are very clear. You will be doing the new specification and completing the AS exams in the new specification. You can't be entered for the old specification resit-only exams next year if you have not taken the exams in it this year unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness that prevented you taking them.

International A levels are unaffected by the reforms. A levels in Wales and Northern Ireland are undergoing independent reforms with different timescales and rules.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then if you are a state school student in England the rules are very clear. You will be doing the new specification and completing the AS exams in the new specification. You can't be entered for the old specification resit-only exams next year if you have not taken the exams in it this year unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness that prevented you taking them.

International A levels are unaffected by the reforms. A levels in Wales and Northern Ireland are undergoing independent reforms with different timescales and rules.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    But I asked one of the teachers when picking my a levels if I could drop psychology and get an AS and she said yes I can because they haven't changed the specification for psychology

ReputationRep:
    But I asked one of the teachers when picking my a levels if I could drop psychology and get an AS and she said yes I can because they haven't changed the specification for psychology
    Are you trolling?
    Maybe you misheard or misunderstood what she explained.
    Psychology has been reformed. You can choose to take an AS in the new reformed specification for every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you trolling?
    Psychology has been reformed. You can choose to take an AS in the new reformed specification for every subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But will you get a qualification for that AS in the new reformed?

ReputationRep:
    But will you get a qualification for that AS in the new reformed?
    Yes of course. If your marks are good enough you would get an AS qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you trolling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually, its not the case for all subjects, for instance Government and Politics is not reformed and is still a modular subject in some schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hafsa)
    Actually, its not the case for all subjects, for instance Government and Politics is not reformed and is still a modular subject in some schools.
    If you read the thread you would see that the point has already been made that not all subjects have reformed yet. The point that AS is available for all reformed subjects is true for all reformed subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.