The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
I'm applying for Biomed because I saw on the news that pharmacy jobs are going to go and be replaced with robotics and pharmacies are going to close

Biomed seems a more secure field atm and higher pay so I'm choosing Biomed

And Biomed is better for leading on to GradMed
Reply 3
Original post by AfcFob
I'm applying for Biomed because I saw on the news that pharmacy jobs are going to go and be replaced with robotics and pharmacies are going to close

That is totally untrue. There are too many people *applying for boomed which many people are not getting a job at the end of it, even with pharmacy! *They are both popular degrees with more and more people doing them. However, with pharmacy there has been more pathways opened to us with newer job opportunities which is great!*

So ultimately pharmacy has more of a 'secure' field, but again you can't compare which is better, depends on yourself.

2nd year pharmacy student. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I would like to do the ABPI, would like to know more about this exam.
Reply 5
Original post by Gav107
That is totally untrue. There are too many people *applying for boomed which many people are not getting a job at the end of it, even with pharmacy! *They are both popular degrees with more and more people doing them. However, with pharmacy there has been more pathways opened to us with newer job opportunities which is great!*

So ultimately pharmacy has more of a 'secure' field, but again you can't compare which is better, depends on yourself.

2nd year pharmacy student. *

Fair enough, I'm just pretty sure that on my local news a few months ago there was something about closing local pharmacies to save money
Reply 6
Original post by AfcFob
Fair enough, I'm just pretty sure that on my local news a few months ago there was something about closing local pharmacies to save money

yes i have seen that too, but that will not happen.*
Reply 7
Original post by Gav107
yes i have seen that too, but that will not happen.*

Guess we'll have to see what DoH decides to do, I think there is cause for concern in both sectors
Reply 8
Original post by AfcFob

Thanks for your response.

What universities are you looking at for Biomedical Science?
Reply 9
Original post by JordanDtsr
Thanks for your response.

What universities are you looking at for Biomedical Science?

QMUL, UoM, Keele and I've not decided on a 4th yet. QMUL is my favourite so far but Keele is meant to be great for the sciences and it's closer to home than London (since I'm from Lancashire)

I'm also going to apply for Biological Science at Oxford too as my 5th choice
Reply 10
Original post by AfcFob
QMUL, UoM, Keele and I've not decided on a 4th yet. QMUL is my favourite so far but Keele is meant to be great for the sciences and it's closer to home than London (since I'm from Lancashire)

I'm also going to apply for Biological Science at Oxford too as my 5th choice

Nice, good luck, I hope you get all your offers.
Reply 11
Original post by AfcFob
Guess we'll have to see what DoH decides to do, I think there is cause for concern in both sectors

exactly
Reply 12
Nice, good luck, I hope you get all your offers.

Me too, Oxford is my dream but I'd be more than happy at QMUL as it was a fantastic campus

Where are you looking to apply??
Reply 13
Original post by AfcFob
Me too, Oxford is my dream but I'd be more than happy at QMUL as it was a fantastic campus

Where are you looking to apply??

Warwick, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Royal Holloway.

Birmingham and Kent are also being considered.
Reply 14
Warwick, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Royal Holloway.

Birmingham and Kent are also being considered.

I'm thinking about Warwick as my 4th choice because it looks really nice and a good course
Reply 15
Original post by AfcFob
I'm thinking about Warwick as my 4th choice because it looks really nice and a good course

Yeah, and then also because of its graduate entry medicine course.
Reply 16
In addition to the comments above, pharmacy has a pretty broad range of job prospects, not only community pharmacy. I have friends who studied pharmacy and went on to get jobs in biotech companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospital pharmacy, regulatory agencies, and even investment banking!
I would choose Pharmacy, I graduated from Biomed last year from a good uni with a 2:1 and have been working as an MLA ever since (although my manager is letting me train to complete my portfolio), and this is in London. My friends from the midlands could not even get an MLA position and work in banks now. Although I did enjoy Biomed, so if you like the learning, go for it...but if you want a career in biomedical science, definitely go to an institution that has accredited placements for you to complete your portfolio!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Lilmissshortee
I would choose Pharmacy, I graduated from Biomed last year from a good uni with a 2:1 and have been working as an MLA ever since (although my manager is letting me train to complete my portfolio), and this is in London. My friends from the midlands could not even get an MLA position and work in banks now. Although I did enjoy Biomed, so if you like the learning, go for it...but if you want a career in biomedical science, definitely go to an institution that has accredited placements for you to complete your portfolio!

How come they couldn't get MLA positions, and ain't working in banks good. Did your course have a sandwich year or was it a normal 3 year course? Plus, what do you mean by complete your portfolio? Also, not meaning to be nosey, but how much do MLA positions pay?

Latest

Trending

Trending