Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    NOTE: I am asian and my parents are asian.

My mum have been insulting my clothes for quite some time . By insult I mean just critiquing in a non aggressive way but it's getting annoying and she does this several of times now.

Today she told me my clothes were better than the other stuff I wore and I couldn't control it and told her that I didn't need her opinion in front of her other asian friends. She tried to tell me it's good to have feedback and and this point she sound quite apologetic but I finished off by saying "if I need it then I would have asked" in a rude tone. It felt good but gosh I'm so nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    she sound quite apologetic but I finished off by saying "if I need it then I would have asked" in a rude tone. It felt good
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was fair play you said that, honesty is important, the last line was a bit punchy tho for sure.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Oo we're dealing with a badass over here!

But seriously, Asian parents just want to complain about everything and comparing us to everyone. I've learned to live with it now lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ForestShadow)

I think it was fair play you said that, honesty is important, the last line was a bit punchy tho for sure.
    I like being honest and she was just asking for it when she tells me the same thing 4 days consecutively

(Original post by UWS)
    Oo we're dealing with a badass over here!

But seriously, Asian parents just want to complain about everything and comparing us to everyone. I've learned to live with it now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I didn't say anything before today, that's "live with it" right? Today I was having none of that especially since its results tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly my mum has never made any negative comments about my clothes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Surprisingly my mum has never made any negative comments about my clothes
    She sounds nice but have she ever criticised you in any way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She sounds nice but have she ever criticised you in any way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She criticizes me all the time tbh

I'm actually surprised you said that to your mum. If I ever spoke to my mum like that I'd be homeless within seconds

ReputationRep:
    run and hide mate
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    She criticizes me all the time tbh

I'm actually surprised you said that to your mum. If I ever spoke to my mum like that I'd be homeless within seconds
    Oh my mum is not a strict parent in that sense. I guess speaking back is rude and she'll tell me off but she knew she was in the wrong which she can admit without the parent supremacy thing . How do you adapt to your mum judging you all the time, i cant live with that and will tell her to stop

ReputationRep:
    Oh my mum is not a strict parent in that sense. I guess speaking back is rude and she'll tell me off but she knew she was in the wrong which she can admit without the parent supremacy thing . How do you adapt to your mum judging you all the time, i cant live with that and will tell her to stop
    I just learn to ignore it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I just learn to ignore it
    Your mind is so controlled :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well if my mom raised me from the infant little one I was, cared for every need I had, loved me loads then I think she can have opinions for what I should or should not wear.

ReputationRep:
    NOTE: I am asian and my parents are asian.

My mum have been insulting my clothes for quite some time . By insult I mean just critiquing in a non aggressive way but it's getting annoying and she does this several of times now.

Today she told me my clothes were better than the other stuff I wore and I couldn't control it and told her that I didn't need her opinion in front of her other asian friends. She tried to tell me it's good to have feedback and and this point she sound quite apologetic but I finished off by saying "if I need it then I would have asked" in a rude tone. It felt good but gosh I'm so nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sucks. Tell her to "do one mate" in a gruff London accent. Lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Warrior Gene)
    Well if my mom raised me from the infant little one I was, cared for every need I had, loved me loads then I think she can have opinions for what I should or should not wear.
    mums arent always right, sometimes they are stuck in the older generation with wrong views

ReputationRep:
    mums arent always right, sometimes they are stuck in the older generation with wrong views
    Well our loving and caring parents are irreplaceable bro. No matter how old fashioned and irritating their advice may seem I have no right I repeat I have no right to speak to them harshly, you want to follow your own style fine but be polite, parents are not our rivals. They impose their likings and way of thinking because they think its best for us. Ofcourse the world isnt perfect I am ust talking about the normal parents in an average family. We must respect our parents, its not cool not cool at all to talk harshly to our parents.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Warrior Gene)
    Well our loving and caring parents are irreplaceable bro. No matter how old fashioned and irritating their advice may seem I have no right I repeat I have no right to speak to them harshly, you want to follow your own style fine but be polite, parents are not our rivals. They impose their likings and way of thinking because they think its best for us. Ofcourse the world isnt perfect I am ust talking about the normal parents in an average family. We must respect our parents, its not cool not cool at all to talk harshly to our parents.
    yes i agree looking at it in the long run but i think my mum reflected on what she said to me these past few days and that's why i'm feeling guilty but glad that she can change cos it shows that she cares about what i think

ReputationRep:
    if you are somewhat close or she is the type of parent you can talk to then sit her down and have a heart to heart with her and explain why you snapped. sometimes they don't realise how offensive they can be
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Allie4)
    if you are somewhat close or she is the type of parent you can talk to then sit her down and have a heart to heart with her and explain why you snapped. sometimes they don't realise how offensive they can be
    i dont usually snap as you can see i've ignored her comments like a million times with a smile. she obviously knew something was wrong with what she said so im fine now cos she recognised her insults

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.