Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So I opened up a HSBC Student bank account thismorning and took the offer for a student credit card (incase of emergency). I found out everything I wanted except one thing.

I plan to only use this card if an emergency ever arouses, so I'm just wondering that if I spend £0 on my card does that mean at the end of the month I will not owe HSBC anything or will I still be charged a small fee for holding the account? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You will owe nothing. It is free.

ReputationRep:
    Why get the hsbc card the Intrest is terrible get an 0% card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Why get the hsbc card the Intrest is terrible get an 0% card
    Build credit. Idea is not to use credit in that you spend money you do not have, but to treat it like a debit card so you do not accrue interest but instead have a solid score and financial protection.

ReputationRep:
    But no they shouldn't charge you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Build credit. Idea is not to use credit in that you spend money you do not have, but to treat it like a debit card so you do not accrue interest but instead have a solid score and financial protection.
    Exactly but I started with a 0% Barclays card and have a credit rating of excellent at 19 so clearly I have done something correctly.

I use

Noddle.co.uk

For my free credit score

ReputationRep:
    Exactly but I started with a 0% Barclays card and have a credit rating of excellent at 19 so clearly I have done something correctly.

I use

Noddle.co.uk

For my free credit score
    0% for how long? A link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    0% for how long? A link?
    TSB do a 0% card for 20months I believe so do Halifax lloyds barclays.

Middle has a card matcher

ReputationRep:
    TSB do a 0% card for 20months I believe so do Halifax lloyds barclays.

Middle has a card matcher
    What's the point of them when those cards are best utilised with very large purchased and not every day spending

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for posting on an old thread but I have a question regarding the HSBC credit card. Did you apply straight away as soon as you opened the account and were you accepted? Did you know your credit score at the time, or was it the first credit that you applied for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.