Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Never been good at meeting new people i feel awkward always end up being quiet and not talking . Tips on being confident meeting new people and making new friends.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Don't worry, thousands of people feel the same way as you every year when it comes to starting Uni.

There's no point in reeling off cliches like "just be yourself", but the best advice I can give is to look out for societies or clubs at university that you have an interest in (I dare say there'll be hundreds) and join a few - you'll meet people who you automatically have something in common with and that will help break the ice, plus you'll feel more confident and at ease if you're talking about/taking part in something that interests you or you already know about!

Don't worry though, you're not alone and there will be plenty of friendly, empathetic people in the same position as you come freshers week
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Fake it til you make it. It being confidence, never anything else.

Also you have the massive similarity with 95% of other people in that you'll be in a new place with no friends in a flat with people you've never met before while studying at the same university and other people having done similar A levels, you're probably also learning how to cook and be independent, you'll also want takeaway and hangover cures sometimes, etc. So you have plenty to bond with people over, it's extremely unlikely you'll struggle to meet people and make friends.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna sound bitter but don't expect too much, people seriously over-glamorise uni. I had loads of "friends" in first year but in second year I literally didn't have any and I was miserable. Don't wanna go back for third year now I actually hate uni, it was the worst mistake I ever made. I've found most students are incredibly selfish and immature and unless you happen to be like that too or are very good at putting up with people's **** then the uni experience is dire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    I don't wanna sound bitter but don't expect too much, people seriously over-glamorise uni. I had loads of "friends" in first year but in second year I literally didn't have any and I was miserable. Don't wanna go back for third year now I actually hate uni, it was the worst mistake I ever made. I've found most students are incredibly selfish and immature and unless you happen to be like that too or are very good at putting up with people's **** then the uni experience is dire.
    oh no now im dreading it

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very good at speaking to people and suffer with social anxiety. I was so nervous when I joined college last year, at 25, that I wouldn't fit in but it turned out that everyone was feeling the same way. After a few weeks and routine had settled in I actually got along with everyone in the class and by the end of the year we were all really close. I used my sense of humor as a way for me to open up and speak to people.

I'm nervous for University but if you put in the effort, joining societies and sports clubs, then it'll probably make meeting people a little easier. I've been doing Archery over the summer in preparation for joining the University sports team. I also plan on joining the free language course scheme and joining the Judo sports club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by d.alpheaus1)
    Never been good at meeting new people i feel awkward always end up being quiet and not talking . Tips on being confident meeting new people and making new friends.
    Hello

University can be scary and a terrifying thought but you aren't alone in the slightest. They are plenty of students who feel the same as you - at the end of the day, it takes getting there and being submerged into the university life style to begin to live it and see how it fits you - that's the best I can suggest.

What I would say is, be yourself, be sociable, talk to people in halls and enjoy your experience. They'll be people in the same boat as you all the way.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Literally almost everyone will be in the same situation. Find some more introverted people who share the same sort of interests as you - dark comedy is always a good basis. You'll be fine. Make an effort and don't expect everyone you meet to be your friend for 3 years, you'll be forgotten unless you keep regular contact, there's just too many people. During the first few nights go around and knock on peoples doors with your flatmates and find someone who does your course. Stick with them but don't become that person who's just tagging along - contribute; people will be welcoming of your input, it is a place for experiencing new things and new people after all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.