Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I just did my ukcat today and was really disappointed with the results. I worked very hard all summer and didnt get the scores I was hoping for.

Verbal: 560
    Quantitative: 700
    Abstract: 610
    Average: 620

Does anyone have any suggestions of less ukcat heavy universities? Sheffield have a cut off of 1850 and with a total of 1870 is it unsafe to apply there?
    Which unis should I completely avoid?
    I'm going to try my best to make my personal statement good so I'm open to any universities that are PS heavy.

I got 5A*s and 8As at GCSE and am predicted AAA (Chem, bio and maths) at A Level and an A in my EPQ

I think I will take the bmat as well as I'm not confident with my ukcat score, which bmat unis would I be most suited to with my grades?

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got a UKCAT score of 1850 and I wanted to apply for Sheffield, but in my opinion it seems too risky. Your grades are really good, UKCAT wise maybe look at Liverpool or possibly Abderdeen? I've heard Queen Mary and St George's may not be particularly UKCAT heavy but you would have to double check. BMAT universities would also be happy with your grades I think, but I would stick to considering Leeds, Lancaster or BSMS. Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial require higher predicted grades I'm afraid. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irukandji5)
    Hi, I got a UKCAT score of 1850 and I wanted to apply for Sheffield, but in my opinion it seems too risky. Your grades are really good, UKCAT wise maybe look at Liverpool or possibly Abderdeen? I've heard Queen Mary and St George's may not be particularly UKCAT heavy but you would have to double check. BMAT universities would also be happy with your grades I think, but I would stick to considering Leeds, Lancaster or BSMS. Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial require higher predicted grades I'm afraid. Good luck
    I really like Leeds but I don't know if my GCSEs are too low?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepens)
    Hi guys,

I just did my ukcat today and was really disappointed with the results. I worked very hard all summer and didnt get the scores I was hoping for.

Does anyone have any suggestions of less ukcat heavy universities? Sheffield have a cut off of 1850 and with a total of 1870 is it unsafe to apply there?
    I'm going to try my best to make my personal statement good so I'm open to any universities that are PS heavy.

I got 5A*s and 8As at GCSE and am predicted AAA (Chem, bio and maths) at A Level and an A in my EPQ

I think I will take the bmat as well as I'm not confident with my ukcat score, which bmat unis would I be most suited to with my grades?

Thank you for your help!
    Apply is my suggestion, what's there to lose? You can only apply for 4 medical schools (as you're probably aware) and your 5th choice should be a AAB-ABB course (usually biomed but I applied for human biology.) If they all reject you because of a low UKCAT score, there's always graduate entry medicine. If you're adamant about studying medicine, you'll make it if you persevere. A friend of mine received an interview at Newcastle with 625 average, definitely somewhere I'd look at if I were you

ReputationRep:
    I really like Leeds but I don't know if my GCSEs are too low?
    I think you're GCSE's are good enough, and I don't know how their selection works but if you do very well on the BMAT that could make up for it if you think they're too low. But, if you really like Leeds go for it it looks pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got a UKCAT of 2500. I was dissapointed, but I applied to both Keele university and Liverpool, and they both offered me an interview. (Which I then got offers from). So try those two.

ReputationRep:
    Where else did you apply and did you get any other interview/offers? Also, what were your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    How did you do? where did you apply? did you get any interviews/offers? I am applying for the 2018 course and Im in the same board - did really bad for ukcat

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.