The Student Room Group

How beneficial is an extra degree for future prospects?

I'm offered a place to study Medicine, which is what I want to do, but that means leaving my medical science degree incomplete (after 2 years).

Do you think I should look to complete the degree say alongside my medical studies or as an intercalation?

I am not exactly sure how an extra degree affects future prospects as a doctor, e.g. applying for jobs, research career so would appreciate if someone can shine some light on my options..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VARRRDAQ
I'm offered a place to study Medicine, which is what I want to do, but that means leaving my medical science degree incomplete (after 2 years).

Do you think I should look to complete the degree say alongside my medical studies or as an intercalation?

I am not exactly sure how an extra degree affects future prospects as a doctor, e.g. applying for jobs, research career so would appreciate if someone can shine some light on my options..

Is this in the UK or abroad? I haven't heard of someone leaving mid-way through other than after 1st year (e.g. from an Access course).

You get a couple of extra foundation points for having a degree other than medicine, so it may be important if you want to do particularly competitive posts or go somewhere very competitive (e.g. London)

Otherwise it's not a big deal, you can make up for it in other ways (decile in your medical degree, publications/prizes, SJT)
If you've got a place to study Medicine this year, I'd probably just go for it as you don't know if you'll get an offer next time around. You could always contact your med school and ask to defer entry for a year so that you can finish your degree though?

It does make some difference (I got an extra 3 or 4 points on FPAS for mine, which pulled my score up nicely), but as MJK91 says, you can get those points in other ways instead.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending