Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm about to start university this September and have worked out that I'll have about £65 a week to live off. Does this sound like enough? I'm sure I can budget it well and make it work, but I was wondering whether it is enough or if there are any expenses I've perhaps overlooked.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Is that before buying food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Is that before buying food?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ15)
    Yes.
    It's doable but I have £147 a week before food it seems like something is wrong with your budget?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EmJ15)
    Hi
    I'm about to start university this September and have worked out that I'll have about £65 a week to live off. Does this sound like enough? I'm sure I can budget it well and make it work, but I was wondering whether it is enough or if there are any expenses I've perhaps overlooked.

Thank you!
    Easily doable, you ll only need £20 for food.

ReputationRep:
    Easily doable! You only need £15-£20/week for food and very little for transport (it really is worth walking everywhere to save money), and also very little for course costs (get textbooks secondhand/from the library)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    It's doable but I have £147 a week before food it seems like something is wrong with your budget?
    Something is wrong with their budget? People have different amounts of money to spend, that's what a budget is. Just because your budget is higher, doesn't mean 'something is wrong' with someone else having to budget less. Your turn of phrase was quite ridiculous.

£65 a week is enough, if you're not reckless then it should be quite comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    Easily doable! You only need £15-£20/week for food and very little for transport (it really is worth walking everywhere to save money), and also very little for course costs (get textbooks secondhand/from the library)
    Thank you, that's reassuring!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, easily doable! :P I am going to uni in 2017, but started doing mock budgets now. I should have about the same as you left after paying weekly rent. I have said that the most I will ever spend on food per week is £25, which means you can either save the other £40 (like a good student) or you can do what most students and me will do and blow it on alcohol!

£65 a week you could eat gourmet everyday! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrack)
    Yep, easily doable! :P I am going to uni in 2017, but started doing mock budgets now. I should have about the same as you left after paying weekly rent. I have said that the most I will ever spend on food per week is £25, which means you can either save the other £40 (like a good student) or you can do what most students and me will do and blow it on alcohol!

£65 a week you could eat gourmet everyday! :P
    Haha, thank you! Good luck with uni next year!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It'll be plenty. Have you taken into account things like travelling home for the holidays?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.