Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hold on.. Before you tell me to google it, I have but I just need some help on deciding and therefore require some opinions.

Basically i'm undecided on a career in banking vs career in trading. Ive done tons of research but still unsure. It came down to three areas for me.
    - Hours
    - Job enjoyability
    - Exit ops

Bar exit ops, the top two I can't really gauge till I start the job. They go hand in hand imo. I will happily work 80 hours over 60 hours if it gives me job satisfaction. I can't really gauge what the job will be like from descriptions on the internet. I want to get some hands on experience to find out what it will be like to do either for a career week in and week out.

So... i'm going into my final year and am applying for summer internships to get that 'hands on experience' before I make any decisions... Since i'm completely undecided, what shall I do? Like which should I apply to etc?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alexjones1994)
    Hold on.. Before you tell me to google it, I have but I just need some help on deciding and therefore require some opinions.

Basically i'm undecided on a career in banking vs career in trading. Ive done tons of research but still unsure. It came down to three areas for me.
    - Hours
    - Job enjoyability
    - Exit ops

Bar exit ops, the top two I can't really gauge till I start the job. They go hand in hand imo. I will happily work 80 hours over 60 hours if it gives me job satisfaction. I can't really gauge what the job will be like from descriptions on the internet. I want to get some hands on experience to find out what it will be like to do either for a career week in and week out.

So... i'm going into my final year and am applying for summer internships to get that 'hands on experience' before I make any decisions... Since i'm completely undecided, what shall I do? Like which should I apply to etc?

Thanks
    Well, the only real way is to see if you can get a shadowing gig at a bank..

A summer internship, regardless of how it's touted as being a 'taste', is not a taste at all and is really just an extended interview for a job. So by choosing which one, you're virtually locked into that area unless the bank you end up at has some internal mobility schemes where you can say, apply to open spots in a different division after a bit of experience on the job.

Have you tried reaching out to people on Linkedin for better insight into their jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Well, the only real way is to see if you can get a shadowing gig at a bank..

A summer internship, regardless of how it's touted as being a 'taste', is not a taste at all and is really just an extended interview for a job. So by choosing which one, you're virtually locked into that area unless the bank you end up at has some internal mobility schemes where you can say, apply to open spots in a different division after a bit of experience on the job.

Have you tried reaching out to people on Linkedin for better insight into their jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey. I've spoken to two traders. One has now actually completed his analysts program, sat his exams and is actually working as an FX spot at Citi. The other is just about to start his markets program at Deutsche having converted his markets summer program. Again, they described what they get upto and they both enjoy it but I still can't gauge whether I myself would enjoy it. That might come of a bit confusing but I hope you get what i'm trying to say?

I would love to speak to an M&A analyst but I don't know any unfortunately. For me the main issue with m&a is the work satisfaction.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey. I've spoken to two traders. One has now actually completed his analysts program, sat his exams and is actually working as an FX spot at Citi. The other is just about to start his markets program at Deutsche having converted his markets summer program. Again, they described what they get upto and they both enjoy it but I still can't gauge whether I myself would enjoy it. That might come of a bit confusing but I hope you get what i'm trying to say?

I would love to speak to an M&A analyst but I don't know any unfortunately. For me the main issue with m&a is the work satisfaction.
    Well, you can't really know until you're sat there doing it, so really, you're best off choosing a) what sounds interesting, b) what you see yourself being good at, c) which side of finance you'd see yourself fit into (is it the fast paced broad based nature of markets? or is it the slower paced, more methodical nature of the private side?).

The two careers are pretty different from each other and suit different people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Well, you can't really know until you're sat there doing it, so really, you're best off choosing a) what sounds interesting, b) what you see yourself being good at, c) which side of finance you'd see yourself fit into (is it the fast paced broad based nature of markets? or is it the slower paced, more methodical nature of the private side?).

The two careers are pretty different from each other and suit different people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly what I was thinking... I know its nothing like market making but i've been trading FX over summer using my overdraft :P and have actually really been enjoying it. Although scalping FX all day is basically the same as going on paddypower and betting on football matches. No calculating greeks here. So I think I will take a punt on trading internships going by a) b) and then hopefully c) I will then be able to answer after doing the internship :P.

Thanks for help once again!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Exactly what I was thinking... I know its nothing like market making but i've been trading FX over summer using my overdraft :P and have actually really been enjoying it. Although scalping FX all day is basically the same as going on paddypower and betting on football matches. No calculating greeks here. So I think I will take a punt on trading internships going by a) b) and then hopefully c) I will then be able to answer after doing the internship :P.

Thanks for help once again!
    Loool, paddy power that is hilarious 😂😂

And no probs, good luck with applications and I hope all goes smoothly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.