Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm extremely nervous. I applied for uni last year and got an offer for my chosen course but I withdraw at the last minute because I was feeling too anxious and just wasn't ready to meet any new people. It was the best decision for me at the time because I got a health scare shortly after and was hospitalised for the night. I thought I was going to die then, I was really scared but it was nothing serious in the end and I was sent home.

I've been on a gap year since and haven't done much, just been at home. I applied again for uni for this september-next month because I really want to go to university and get a degree but I'm still so nervous even though I got an offer on the course I want to study.

I'm so worried about the workload and meeting deadlines. When I was at college on a level 3 BTEC extended Diploma, I was great with that. The workload was more than I was used to but I managed to complete all work before the deadlines and received a lot of distinctions. My overall grade was higher than what my tutors predicted as well. I know the workload will be twice as much in uni, what if I can't complete the work or miss some deadlines?

I also worry about meeting the students. I have always been a quiet person. I am fine communicating in writing, through social media etc but face to face I just get really nervous and don't talk much especially if people are staring at me. Sometimes I can't speak even if I want to, no words come out. I think I have selective mutism but I don't want to see a Doctor about it because they will probably diagnose me with it and describe me antidepressants and counselling. I have researched it, I know. I am not depressed and don't feel comfortable sharing my personal thoughts or life experiences with anyone let alone a stranger. It also doesn't help that I'll be a mature student 23+.To top it off, I haven't met any of the students yet who will be on the same course as me. I am Asian and hope I am not the only one there otherwise it will be awkward. I am already worried about fitting in due to my quietness, I always make friends easily but I never stick to hanging out with them because I don't talk much to new people until I get to know them better but at college I didn't get to know them better because I had a couple of friends. They were really outgoing and spoke to each other while I just listened feeling helpless. They didn't really get me. It was a different situation when I was at school. I could always talk with my friends confidently. (Yes I did make a couple of threads like this since september incase anyone's noticed but I am really nervous about joining university. What if there are all white people in my class, are they going to bully me? I really am not looking forward to meeting them and am thinking about withdrawing from the course already and I haven't even started it. I'm really worried about not fitting in with the other students. I'm worried they'll take one look at me and ask themselves 'what is her type doing on this course?)I really don't know what I should do. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be, uni is great. nowhere as bad as starting your first day of school or college because for starters the people are a lot more mature and you get treated more like an adult. also remember that other people will be just as nervous as you. when i started my first day i noticed that even a lot of my lecturers were nervous too, it was so cute. but everyone just talks to everyone, everyone seems really happy too. and overall it really was just a great three years for me and my story is very similar to yours - took a gap year, literally did nothing. was nervous as hell and an overall shy and reserved person who has been bullied her whole life and yet even I managed to make a few friends on the first day! talk to everyone who seems pleasant, small talk will do. just hi, how are you, my name is... etc and then the next couple of days keep talking to the ones you hit it off with. If you don't like people staring at you then look at the ground or something when you talk to them. as for you being a mature student at 23! i started uni at 21 and was literally one of the youngest people there, about half the people in my class were late 20s-mid 30s and one guy was even in his 40s. when uni starts properly most people tend to just keep to themselves when they are studying. just make the most of it, enjoy uni every day cos you'll miss it when its over

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you everyone feels this way before starting uni and although this may be a cliche to say, everyone is in the same boat as you. Don't overthink, just go in with an open mind to making friends and you'll be fine. As for the selective mutism thing you mentioned, if you can't overcome it on your own I think you should see if you can visit a therapist or someone to help you become more confident with speaking outloud.

ReputationRep:
    I think lots of people have anxiety before starting university. But I also know that for some, that anxiety can be crippling. My sister got an offer she wasn't expecting and withdrew like you did because she panicked. This feeling is nothing to be ashamed of. It's hard to believe that other people share your feelings when you hear about how other people are preparing for university, but nobody really knows what it will be like until they go.

Meeting new people can be really scary. I am very shy, I also prefer listening to talking, and I don't make friends easily at all. But I can reassure you that no matter what, you will find friends. There will be so many students there, that you are virtually guaranteed to meet like-minded people who understand and appreciate you for who you are. If you're worried your new friends will forget about you because of your quietness, why not invite them to hang out? Invite them over to watch a movie if you don't feel talkative, or have dinner with them if you do want to chat.

<3 Never worry. Be yourself and everything will work out. You'll have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    I'm extremely nervous. I applied for uni last year and got an offer for my chosen course but I withdraw at the last minute because I was feeling too anxious and just wasn't ready to meet any new people. It was the best decision for me at the time because I got a health scare shortly after and was hospitalised for the night. I thought I was going to die then, I was really scared but it was nothing serious in the end and I was sent home.

I've been on a gap year since and haven't done much, just been at home. I applied again for uni for this september-next month because I really want to go to university and get a degree but I'm still so nervous even though I got an offer on the course I want to study.

I'm so worried about the workload and meeting deadlines. When I was at college on a level 3 BTEC extended Diploma, I was great with that. The workload was more than I was used to but I managed to complete all work before the deadlines and received a lot of distinctions. My overall grade was higher than what my tutors predicted as well. I know the workload will be twice as much in uni, what if I can't complete the work or miss some deadlines?

I also worry about meeting the students. I have always been a quiet person. I am fine communicating in writing, through social media etc but face to face I just get really nervous and don't talk much especially if people are staring at me. Sometimes I can't speak even if I want to, no words come out. I think I have selective mutism but I don't want to see a Doctor about it because they will probably diagnose me with it and describe me antidepressants and counselling. I have researched it, I know. I am not depressed and don't feel comfortable sharing my personal thoughts or life experiences with anyone let alone a stranger. It also doesn't help that I'll be a mature student 23+.To top it off, I haven't met any of the students yet who will be on the same course as me. I am Asian and hope I am not the only one there otherwise it will be awkward. I am already worried about fitting in due to my quietness, I always make friends easily but I never stick to hanging out with them because I don't talk much to new people until I get to know them better but at college I didn't get to know them better because I had a couple of friends. They were really outgoing and spoke to each other while I just listened feeling helpless. They didn't really get me. It was a different situation when I was at school. I could always talk with my friends confidently. (Yes I did make a couple of threads like this since september incase anyone's noticed but I am really nervous about joining university. What if there are all white people in my class, are they going to bully me? I really am not looking forward to meeting them and am thinking about withdrawing from the course already and I haven't even started it. I'm really worried about not fitting in with the other students. I'm worried they'll take one look at me and ask themselves 'what is her type doing on this course?)I really don't know what I should do. Any suggestions?

Youre over thinking it. I have only met nice people at uni! Youll be fine

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.