Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial_baby)
    how much is it required that u study a day in addition to lectures??

thanks
    Most days a quite packed, normally 9 to 5, with about 4 lectures, sometimes more, and/or tutorial/practical. After that it really depends how much you want to do. I tend t go over the lectures that night so it takes me about 3hrs ish to add a few notes, read a bit. If we have PBLs and stuff then that'll take 2hrs for 2 or 3 nights a week.

ReputationRep:
    do u ever get time to go out and that during the week or is it all at weekends? also do u have lectures at weekends?

how much pbl is there? i heard there isn't alot..also are the lectures boring? or do u do practicals and things aswell? i really want to cut up a dead body! do they do that at IC?
    Thankfully we don't have weekend lectures. Fun at Imperial?! Now way! What would happen to our reputation ! Seriously though, yeh there is time for fun. Medics union puts on lots of stuff like bops every week, plus there's all the London stuff to see and do.

Your right about PBL, its isn't used as a major teaching tool, the main reason for it is to learn how to research, present and work in groups - we don't learn any real medicine from them, though some cases are relevent to what the current lectures are about.

The lectures are kinda boring. They go on for an hour, and sometime when we have 3 in the morning and 2 or 3 in the afternoon, you tend to want to go home early . Some lecturers make it more interesting, and some even make the lecture relevent (ie stick the learning obejectives rather than bang on about irrelevent stuff). Some lecturers put presentation up or give handouts before their lecture so it saves having to write and 100mph.

Yeh we have practicals, prob more in the 1st year than 2nd, like taking blood, using microscopes etc... Yeh you will get to cut up bodies! We have anatomy throughout the 1st and 2nd year as part of "rotations" which are twice a week. The first lot of anatomy is more hands on, the later stuff you don't really get to do a lot except watch.

First year should be a laugh !

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much! i read ur blog it's cute! well done passin ur exams btw!
    Awww thanx . If you have anymore questions feel free to ask away cos I'm bored !

ReputationRep:
    lol ok! well u know u have like placements at hospitals..if u finish late and it's dark and cold do u hav 2 make ur own way home?? :confused:
    There are a few hospitals where it is well known to be unsafe, in which case I think they pay for a cab to take you home. As for most placements, cos you're in groups hopefully you''ll either be with someone else, or can go home during normal hours. If say you're on "on calls" lasting till the small hours, then either you can stay in the hospital, go into hospital accommodation, or hopefully a mate had brought their car.

London is like every city - the best thing is to be aware and be prepared!

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ru glad u went 2 imperial??
    Yeh I sure am! Some people don't like Imperial cos it has a reputation of being a bit geeky and all-sciency, but you make it your own .

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.