Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, just wondering if anyone could tell me why we write H2+1/2O2 -->H2O rather than 2H2+O2 -->2H2O and which others equation/ the rule for which it is similiar. Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Both are fine. However if you want to find something like the enthalpy of formation per mole for H2O, you should balance it like the first one, as it'll give you the enthalpy per mole, not for multiple moles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Both are fine. However if you want to find something like the enthalpy of formation per mole for H2O, you should balance it like the first one, as it'll give you the enthalpy per mole, not for multiple moles.

So if I'm just balancing equations in an exam, both would be classed as the correct answer. Thankyou so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old mango)
    So if I'm just balancing equations in an exam, both would be classed as the correct answer. Thankyou so much
    As long as it's stochiometrically correct, I can't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.