Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I had Bristol as my Firm and St Andrews as my insurance, for many reasons (bristol had the higher offer and I didn't want to count anything right out) and found that i could alter this by contacting the universities from many sources.
    However, it took a over a month to get the necessary information on which to base the decision, out if the university.. Emails left, phone calls - 'we will let you know by tomorrow at the latest'... 4 times.. nothing. I could not afford their accommodation, which is frankly absurdly priced, for someone who needs an en-suite for health reasons, and was told by SFE that I should receive this a this should be given at standard price due to this and not £160 per week.
    However, After results day when I finally got it and told them that tomorrow was not good enough, I needed to know now, what the deal was - they actually offered me a great deal. They told me they were holding my place in accommodation and a women I spoke to confirmed they absolutely still had my place there and even told me to ring Bristol and UCAS.. which thank god I didn't... As despite acting asap as instructed, I have now been told by admin, they no longer have my place... so i'm pretty annoyed and disappointed to be honest. I have called different people 4 times, emails.. and apparently 'sorry, nothing we can do'.

    I was set on St Andrews and am totally indifferent to going to Bristol as I had decided it wasn't me and is less than two hours drive from me too. I don't believe, from people I know there, that it's going to challenge me enough academically either, as I have applied for philosophy, which St Andrews has a world-class department for, and know people of similar intelligence, doing very little work and getting 1sts... So i'm a bit pissed off and Unsure what to do.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dock-leaf)
    I was set on St Andrews and am totally indifferent to going to Bristol as I had decided it wasn't me and is less than two hours drive from me too. I don't believe, from people I know there, that it's going to challenge me enough academically either, as I have applied for philosophy, which St Andrews has a world-class department for, and know people of similar intelligence, doing very little work and getting 1sts... So i'm a bit pissed off and Unsure what to do.
    If you feel that strongly for St Andrews and against Bristol, you could look into deferring your St Andrews place for a year. It's not ideal, but you'd be one of the first in the queue for accommodation next year.

    Be aware that your SF will not increase next year unless you parents' income drops significantly. You need to find accommodation at St Andrews that you can afford. Your SF is not based on your outgoings, but on your household income.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you feel that strongly for St Andrews and against Bristol, you could look into deferring your St Andrews place for a year. It's not ideal, but you'd be one of the first in the queue for accommodation next year.

    Be aware that your SF will not increase next year unless you parents' income drops significantly. You need to find accommodation at St Andrews that you can afford. Your SF is not based on your outgoings, but on your household income.

    They offered me a £160/week room for £101 in the end. - which is great .. they had it all lined up. Even assured me it was all there and were awaiting my choice - which I replied to immediately.
    Thing is, I have already taken an extra year, as I changed my A levels halfway through because I wasn't enjoying them, and St Andrews is a 4 year degree equivalent to a standard English, 3 year BA too.. so I think at this point, perhaps going to Bristol and then applying for transfer into second year will be my best bet, as I don't want to be getting my BA equiv at 24..
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dock-leaf)
    They offered me a £160/week room for £101 in the end. - which is great .. they had it all lined up. Even assured me it was all there and were awaiting my choice - which I replied to immediately.
    Thing is, I have already taken an extra year, as I changed my A levels halfway through because I wasn't enjoying them, and St Andrews is a 4 year degree equivalent to a standard English, 3 year BA too.. so I think at this point, perhaps going to Bristol and then applying for transfer into second year will be my best bet, as I don't want to be getting my BA equiv at 24..
    Given that the two courses will be structured differently, you need to confirm the transfer scenario with St Andrews before relying on that plan. Don't assume that it will be easy - or even that St Andrews will accept a transfer. Do that now. I would be very wary of spending a year at a uni you really don't want to be at. The odds are that you won't be learning very effectively. If St Andrews will only accept you if you get a certain grade for your first year, that could be an obstacle. Don't go to uni this year at any cost. It may be counter-productive.

    I got my BA at 47, so I wouldn't worry about your age. It's a red herring which will be completely irrelevant after uni.*
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Given that the two courses will be structured differently, you need to confirm the transfer scenario with St Andrews before relying on that plan. Don't assume that it will be easy - or even that St Andrews will accept a transfer. Do that now. I would be very wary of spending a year at a uni you really don't want to be at. The odds are that you won't be learning very effectively. If St Andrews will only accept you if you get a certain grade for your first year, that could be an obstacle. Don't go to uni this year at any cost. It may be counter-productive.

    I got my BA at 47, so I wouldn't worry about your age. It's a red herring which will be completely irrelevant after uni.*
    Yeah - that's a good shout actually, thanks; I will call up and see what I can get in the pipe line.
    I'm really not keen on staying at home another year - that would be worst case scenario really, and my lung issue is pretty bad - i'll be very, very lucky if I get to 47; so i'm keen not to spend another year at home and get going.
 
 
 
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.