Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

History - Napoleon - help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, the title was admittedly very vague, so I will explain what exactly I meant.

I am undertaking some research for coursework, into an area of history that interests me, this being the Napoleonic era.

BUT, we need to make our 3000 word essay focus on a single character, which will obviously be Napoleon. And we need to argue for and against a certain issue that directly links with that character. I was wondering if anyone had any revision notes on the era (as all I have is a million 500 page books from the library... I need some concise ground information!)

Also, any ideas for essay titles, and focuses would be highly appreciated, to help me come to a conclusion.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I’m afraid I haven’t studied that era but I hope this site will be of some use http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/aleve...napoleon.shtml. I told myself I would take a look at it last summer as research for the 'History of Revolutions' summer school but never got around to it!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, ill take a detailed look when im not so busy, lol. Anyone else able to offer some help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    BUT, we need to make our 3000 word essay focus on a single character, which will obviously be Napoleon. And we need to argue for and against a certain issue that directly links with that character. I was wondering if anyone had any revision notes on the era (as all I have is a million 500 page books from the library... I need some concise ground information!)

Also, any ideas for essay titles, and focuses would be highly appreciated, to help me come to a conclusion.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    i studied SO much on napoleon for my A level (Chnaging Nature of Warfare) so i have loads...you could look at him being a good leader or not and compare positive views of Napoleon eg David Chandler with another (sorry i forget the name, i completely have tried to forget all my work on Napoleon)...I did my coursework on Hitler, a good tip is to ask a broader question eg, how can an individual effect the course of history? you dont need to answer it but could say..."napoleon dod this..blah blah blah...but on a broader scale in answering this question we are (etc etc etc) looking at whether an individual and affect the whole course of history" - sorry badly written but if you pm me I could explain a bit better.

I'll try and post some notes I have on Napoleon up here for you - although they may not be that useful as they look at Napoleonic warfare really but it may give you the background knowledge etc

ReputationRep:
    ohkay...here is a very poor essay on Napoleon's leadership...i dont know if it will help very much as it is quite bad but its something i guess

ive also just added one that analyses strategy from 1794 to 1871 or something like that - i know ive mentioned Napoleon in there - again i didn't get a very good grade for it.

will dig out my powerpoint slides and notes from somewhere in my computer for you that actually directly relate to Napoleon instead if you want?
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Strategy.doc (24.5 KB, 371 views)
  2. File Type: doc STRATEGY AS IMPORTANT ROLE.doc (26.5 KB, 175 views)

ReputationRep:
    i studied Napoleon at AS history... (unfortunately) i think the key issues are in my opinion (tho we never did a self study essay thing, so ignore me if what i'm talking about is pointless) :

*his leadership... propaganda campaign and how he maintained this. I.e his authority was based on his heroic image. -Without this, he's screwed!

*his foreign policy... battles was his thing. He was skilled in this area...

*how he stood for so-called liberal ideas but was still heavily into discipline and authority. Wanted order of society etc

*his background... he came from Corsica rem? He really had to work his way up cos of the issues at the time that meant meritocracy was just unheard of really...

*his 100 days... Idea of accident of history etc how he seized control of France yet again after being exiled on Elba...

etc etc...
    lol. i can't think of any more! Gosh, i can't believe i could recall all this from memory! lol -Shame i could'nt do that in the exam...

lol, hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    i studied Napoleon at AS history... (unfortunately) i think the key issues are in my opinion (tho we never did a self study essay thing, so ignore me if what i'm talking about is pointless) :

*his leadership... propaganda campaign and how he maintained this. I.e his authority was based on his heroic image. -Without this, he's screwed!

*his foreign policy... battles was his thing. He was skilled in this area...

*how he stood for so-called liberal ideas but was still heavily into discipline and authority. Wanted order of society etc

*his background... he came from Corsica rem? He really had to work his way up cos of the issues at the time that meant meritocracy was just unheard of really...

*his 100 days... Idea of accident of history etc how he seized control of France yet again after being exiled on Elba...

etc etc...
    lol. i can't think of any more! Gosh, i can't believe i could recall all this from memory! lol -Shame i could'nt do that in the exam...

lol, hope that helps!
    hehe your suddenly bringing back bad memories of exams - nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.