Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a week before I have to confirm my Year 13 choices and I'm still unsure which Maths module I should take.
    Admittedly I struggled with S1 (came out with 84 UMS overall, looking to resit) and after speaking to my teachers they seem to think I work better with algebraic based maths, but would it be better to do S2 simply because I already have knowledge of Stats? Is M1 really as difficult as people make it out to be? Help!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by romakaji)
    I have a week before I have to confirm my Year 13 choices and I'm still unsure which Maths module I should take.
    Admittedly I struggled with S1 (came out with 84 UMS overall, looking to resit) and after speaking to my teachers they seem to think I work better with algebraic based maths, but would it be better to do S2 simply because I already have knowledge of Stats? Is M1 really as difficult as people make it out to be? Help!!
    Just learn both. Pick S2 as the official choice but do M1 in your own time as your backup perhaps? Who knows which one you'd find easier in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Id say M1. I personally got 90 in FP3 but only 77 in S2 (although I got 100 in s1), so I certainly struggled with it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I would say S2 as I managed to learn it 2 days before the exam and get an A!

ReputationRep:
    I think M1 would suit you better; it is the more algebraic of the two. S2 isn't a bad unit though, so I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    What are your other subjects? If you've done physics at AS/ doing it at A2, M1 is mostly a walk in the park if your algebra is up to scratch, imo.

I do have to admit though, S2 is also very easy to score high in, but for example in aqa, the grade boundaries are very, very high.

So if you usually don't get close to 70 or more on past papers, id suggest M1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    lol
    I worded this wrong lol. I was very happy with my result but I wanted a higher UMS in S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MahuduElec)
    What are your other subjects? If you've done physics at AS/ doing it at A2, M1 is mostly a walk in the park if your algebra is up to scratch, imo.

I do have to admit though, S2 is also very easy to score high in, but for example in aqa, the grade boundaries are very, very high.

So if you usually don't get close to 70 or more on past papers, id suggest M1.
    English Literature and Classics, so not exactly a science fan lmao. Do you think this would set me back in M1?

ReputationRep:
    English Literature and Classics, so not exactly a science fan lmao. Do you think this would set me back in M1?
    S2 is definitely easier than S1 as an overall consensus.

ReputationRep:
    I would only do Mechanics if you're taking Physics, if not, definitely do Statistics

ReputationRep:
    M1 definitely. Pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    Then go for S2, the majority of people in my fm who struggled with m1/m2 didn't do physics. Not to say you will, but it seems more likely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.