Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Good subjects to pick for GCSE.

• View Poll Results: Would you rather let your parents pick your option for GCSE or pick them yourself?
    Yes
    7.14%
    No
    64.29%
    Dont know
    0%
    Depends
    28.57%

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I am in Year 9 going into Year 10 this September.
    Currently I am doing, Computing, History, Triple Science, French, Geography, Maths and English.
    The Compulsory subjects are Maths, English, Triple Science, Geography/ History and French/Spanish.
    We are allowed to pick 2 subjects my options are:
    Art, Catering, Computing, ICT, Drama, Geography, Graphics, Health and Social care, History, MFL, Media Studies, Music, Psychology, RE, Resistant Materials, Sociology and Textiles.
    I have already chosen Computing and Geography as well as already choosing doing History. However, I don't really think I want to do both history and Geography and I am also unsure of what i want to be when I am older.
    My dad is really pushing me to do both History and Geography as he said it will help in the future as i don't know what to do. Can you guysss really help me choose what to do in replacement for Geography I had Media Studies in mind but I am not really sure
    My parents aren't really keen on subjects like Music and Art - they say they aren't really subjects, but I don't really care about their opinions anymore, because I enjoy those subjects and I am good at them, I think that Geography, History and Computing will be too much work which will result to me failing my GCSE's
    Also should I be worried that I don't know what to do in the future yet, as I am feeling very pressured. I've been getting very good levels and predictions for my GCSEs, such as 8's in Triple Science, 9 in History, 8 in Geography, English a 7 and 6/7 in Maths. These are a few of my results although I feel that in year 10 I will not be able to maintain these levels with the amount of work I will be doing.
    Can you guys please give me suggestions
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm really sorry about the way your parents are treating you. Obviously, I'm sure they are just trying to think about what's best for you, but your interests and opinions are just as important as theirs. After all, it's your future you're deciding!

I definitely understand the pressure. I personally think it's so daft to expect students who haven't had any sort of proper work etc experience to make such big decisions, but, unfortunately, that's the way it is. But just know that whatever happens, it's never the end of the world. Also know that you can change your subjects after starting them (within reason).

Although I was much more arty (Art, Media and ICT) I had a lot of friends who chose more humanities options like you're considering. One of my best friends for example did Geography, History and French. Her personal experience? It was demanding but she enjoyed it. They're hard subjects to me, a more English kind of girl, but to someone who enjoys then and wishes to possibly pursue a career in them, they might be easy as pie. Same goes for Art with people who don't like it as much as me. History and Geography are both important, rewarding and demanding subjects.

However, from what I can tell, you really aren't as keen on Geography as other courses. Please, don't be pressured into taking it. My personal opinion is that History is more rewarding, but that is seriously subjective. I understand your concerns about the workload. Trust me, as long as you organise yourself you'll handle it just fine. But once again - only choose it if you're SURE.

Art, Media ETC is far from easy (since people presume they're easy courses) so don't assume it'll be less work (Art in particular means a LOT more work at home), but they're also rewarding and demanding! I really enjoyed both of these courses.

Remember - not everyone knows what they want to do as a career. I sure don't, but I picked those courses because I enjoyed them and that's the absolute best thing you can do. Honestly, I think Media would tie in nicely with History, so I'd picked that, personally.

Good luck :-) All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Subjects with little or no coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saladays)
    Hi there!

I'm really sorry about the way your parents are treating you. Obviously, I'm sure they are just trying to think about what's best for you, but your interests and opinions are just as important as theirs. After all, it's your future you're deciding!

I definitely understand the pressure. I personally think it's so daft to expect students who haven't had any sort of proper work etc experience to make such big decisions, but, unfortunately, that's the way it is. But just know that whatever happens, it's never the end of the world. Also know that you can change your subjects after starting them (within reason).

Although I was much more arty (Art, Media and ICT) I had a lot of friends who chose more humanities options like you're considering. One of my best friends for example did Geography, History and French. Her personal experience? It was demanding but she enjoyed it. They're hard subjects to me, a more English kind of girl, but to someone who enjoys then and wishes to possibly pursue a career in them, they might be easy as pie. Same goes for Art with people who don't like it as much as me. History and Geography are both important, rewarding and demanding subjects.

However, from what I can tell, you really aren't as keen on Geography as other courses. Please, don't be pressured into taking it. My personal opinion is that History is more rewarding, but that is seriously subjective. I understand your concerns about the workload. Trust me, as long as you organise yourself you'll handle it just fine. But once again - only choose it if you're SURE.

Art, Media ETC is far from easy (since people presume they're easy courses) so don't assume it'll be less work (Art in particular means a LOT more work at home), but they're also rewarding and demanding! I really enjoyed both of these courses.

Remember - not everyone knows what they want to do as a career. I sure don't, but I picked those courses because I enjoyed them and that's the absolute best thing you can do. Honestly, I think Media would tie in nicely with History, so I'd picked that, personally.

Good luck :-) All the best!
    Thank you so much for your response its given me a much better insight on what to do and I might pick media studies from your recommendation that it ties in nicely with History. It's just that i'm still confused and don't know if i will be able to do well in my subjects.
    Thanks so much for your response once again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    Subjects with little or no coursework.
    Thanks for your reply, but do you know what subjects have a small amount of coursework as I heard for the new GCSEs the coursework will be a much smaller amount than before anyways, that the exam will be the real major part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephaniex)
    Thanks for your reply, but do you know what subjects have a small amount of coursework as I heard for the new GCSEs the coursework will be a much smaller amount than before anyways, that the exam will be the real major part.
    Geography. Triple Science. GCSE Business.

I always found that coursework would be dragging me down grades and if you have teachers leaving and joining like I did coursework becomes a mess.

ReputationRep:
    You have to do the subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Don't pick computing its a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    How bad is it may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You have to do the subjects you enjoy.
    I know but I am still unsure.

ReputationRep:
    They make GCSEs sound like a life and death situation. It honestly is not - not even close. Do what you enjoy the most but make an informed decision. Do something that's actually worth your time. If you dislike a subject, you can change it within a week of your GCSE courses.

ReputationRep:
    Choose what you want as GCSE subjects are not that important it's the A level subjects that matter the most. If you want to choose Music and Art choose it and as long as you have a respected subject like History and a language you will be fine. I did two humanities History and Philosophy and Ethics and found it ok although I can't comment on Geography.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs litereally do not matter in the future unless you want to take Geography / History for A level. Pick whatever you'll enjoy the most - that's always been the advice.

ReputationRep:
    pick whatever gcse's you'll be best at + enjoy (they're not mutually exclusive)

your actual options will have negligible importance

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate and take into account what you have all said.

ReputationRep:
    Pick ones you enjoy with a mixture of coursework and exam subjects. I did music GCSE, which was 80% coursework, which was actually really nice because all my other subjects were predominantly exam based, so in June it was so good to be able to walk into my music exam knowing I already had a B grade! Music and art are a lot of work though- I put more hours into music than any other subject, and my friends who did art had almost no social life in the build up to their final piece - you have to really love these subjects to be committed enough to do well! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I do both geography and history and find it quite difficult to keep up with all of the info, you don't have to choose both, just tel your parents how you feel (sorry that they are that way). From my experiences I find history more enjoyable because I get to learn about the history of other countries. A language is also good to do but it is also very difficult. Collages and universities usually prioritise people with language GCSEs over those that haven't because they understand that it is a really hard GCSE, that's what my teacher said anyway XD. A type of technology is also fun to do but if you take art it is a lot of work. My friend took art and regrets it :P but as I said it's your choice and I think you will do better in the subjects you enjoy good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowystar)
    Hi there! I do both geography and history and find it quite difficult to keep up with all of the info, you don't have to choose both, just tel your parents how you feel (sorry that they are that way). From my experiences I find history more enjoyable because I get to learn about the history of other countries. A language is also good to do but it is also very difficult. Collages and universities usually prioritise people with language GCSEs over those that haven't because they understand that it is a really hard GCSE, that's what my teacher said anyway XD. A type of technology is also fun to do but if you take art it is a lot of work. My friend took art and regrets it :P but as I said it's your choice and I think you will do better in the subjects you enjoy good luck
    Thanks for your reply its given me more insight into Geography and History behind done together and just as I though it is obviously a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Is that even a question? This is TSR. You're talking maths, physics, chemistry, english, biology, french/german. The rest are fruitless

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.