The Student Room Group

how much work do i have to put into if i want an A in AS level further maths?

i have never done further maths and i am not naturally good at maths so how easy will it be to get an A and how do i have to study (study tips/techniques)
thanks.
As much work as it takes to complete every past paper for the modules
Original post by Laura887
i have never done further maths and i am not naturally good at maths so how easy will it be to get an A and how do i have to study (study tips/techniques)
thanks.

Quite a lot I'm afraid. Maths requires a lot of efforts but it is completely doable! I did it in year 13 and got an A, but I only have 1 lesson a week so I had to really grind the work between lessons
Reply 3
thanks.

As it has been said before just do every past paper and make sure that you understand the ins and outs of everything. Also watch examsolutions as he explains everything so well.
thanks.

As much work as an A in regular maths, plus a bit more.

Also, when you say you're not naturally good at maths, I'd recommend taking FM only with A* at GCSE(it's the requirement at my sixth form anyway).
Reply 5
Original post by Pinocchiolewis
Quite a lot I'm afraid. Maths requires a lot of efforts but it is completely doable! I did it in year 13 and got an A, but I only have 1 lesson a week so I had to really grind the work between lessons

so how many hours a day do you recommend to study it
so how many hours a day do you recommend to study it

Im not sure, maybe 9 hours a week? It all depends on how long it takes you to grasp and remember the basics of the topics.
Just work your hardest, and whatever you end up with, you'll know you tried your absolute best. :h: Good luck.
Reply 8
FP1 is considered very say by most. You could pick applied modules that are considered quite easy and just by doing that it makes it easier for you to get an A. That being said it's always worth trying to have knowledge beyond the specification as it will help with exams.
thanks.

If you can start looking through the modules now. FP1 is compulsory for AS Further Maths
so it might be a good idea to look through the concepts and techniques covered in topics like conics, first principle, complex numbers etc (these topics won’t be alien to you in september if you pick up an FP1 book from your local library and look through them :smile: ). Throughout the year pick a set of days in which you will decide to revise your further maths modules e.g Monday after school, Sunday evening. If you are consistant with your routine I don't see a reason as to why you shouldn't get a B grade minimun :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
If you can start looking through the modules now. FP1 is compulsory for AS Further Maths
so it might be a good idea to look through the concepts and techniques covered in topics like conics, first principle, complex numbers etc (these topics won’t be alien to you in september if you pick up an FP1 book from your local library and look through them :smile: ). Throughout the year pick a set of days in which you will decide to revise your further maths modules e.g Monday after school, Sunday evening. If you are consistant with your routine I don't see a reason as to why you shouldn't get a B grade minimun :smile:

Thank you for the advise i will definitely start the chapters this week and as soon as i get my time table ill organise a schedule. Is s2 and S3 or S4 the easiest applied modules to do for further maths

Quick Reply

Latest