Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone insure their phone?

Ive ordered a Moto G 3rd Gen on contract for £15.50 a month.

The shop also offered me Geeksquad mobile insurance for £40 a year. I think I might buy the insurance too tomorrow.

Does anyone else here pay mobile insurance or is it not worth it?

If we lose our expensive phones on contract, we're fked at the end of the day arent we?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm insured. It's part of our home insurance as a device we may take out of the house (like laptops, headphones and so on).

I'm glad it's insured as I wouldn't want to pay for replacement cost if it was stolen or damaged. A friend at work had a brand new iPhone 6 a while back and accidentally left it on a bus. He's been using an iPhone 4 for the past year until has contract runs out.

I appreciate insurance but at the same time I feel like it's wasted on me. I'm not the sort of person who's likely to need it. I don't lose things. Ever. I take good care of everything I own and accidental damage is rare. I'm very careful with my stuff to prevent theft. I feel like the people who are careful enough to invest in insurance will be alright without it and those that don't bother will need it more.

Obviously accidents happen though and it's the sort of thing you really appreciate having if something happens.

Then again it's always worth considering the cost of the insurance to the cost of the item. For example we were paying £3 a month for insurance on our washing machine. But in the unlikely event it broke we wouldn't have an issue buying a new one. If I had a cheap phone that was easy to replace I wouldn't waste money on insurance. Sometimes you need to weigh up the cost of the insurance vs its benefit.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I've got insurance with my current phone, which I've not needed to use yet. Had it before when it was free and had to claim on it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I've had an iPhone 6 for almost 2 years now and it isn't insured. I've never lost/had a phone stolen before and *touch wood* I won't anytime soon!
    Insurance was around £6 per month for me, I didn't really see the point :\
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I've never bothered. The insurance is generally quite expensive, and I'm usually pretty careful with my phone.

That said, it fell out of my pocket onto the tiled floor of a swimming pool changing room on Sunday, and now has scratches on the metal body. Fortunately the screen didn't break.

Might invest in a case :P

ReputationRep:
    I pay for insurance because I hate cases and if something does happen, I don't wanna be like all those people who have a nice phone but the screen is still smashed because they can't afford to pay for it. I'd rather lose the £6 each month than have to out of the blue need to pay hundreds of pounds to fix it (Heaven forbid that ever happens). I'm always careful with my stuff but still, freak accidents happen so better safe than sorry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.