The Student Room Group

How do you know when freshers week is and can you skip it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eden3
ayyyyyyyyyyyyymeennnnnnnnnnn brotha you gettin all KIIIIINDS of intellectual stimulation up in this *****

Praise LAWD GAAIIIIns for blessing thou to make some MO GRADE gaiiiins... awwww...yeahh.....

Yeah mayne my brains swollen like a mushroom tip 1472081957683.jpg
Reply 21
Original post by howitoughttobe
I would definitely go to the university talks and stuff, they may not be directly related to your course but you could end up missing some pretty useful information. There's the social side as well, three of the guys who were put into my group on the very first day were my best friends for the rest of the year so you might want to consider that. There's also tours and society events and all sorts. Plus all my freshers events had registered so it might look pretty bad if you don't bother turning up.This is all assuming you're a first year of course, if you're second year and above and not bothered about the drinking side then forget freshers it's a waste of time.

No offence but that seems pretty lazy, you're gonna have to commute to uni everyday once term starts you know.

Saying "no offence" doesn't make it not offensive. I am travelling 1hr 45mins each way on a bus. That's 3hrs 30mins. I am a mature student. I only have to go in for 4 days week.
Reply 22
Original post by Meganz2
Saying "no offence" doesn't make it not offensive. I am travelling 1hr 45mins each way on a bus. That's 3hrs 30mins. I am a mature student. I only have to go in for 4 days week.

Wow that's long. I'm commuting as well. although my bus journey is about an hour (apparently). I'm not sure whether to attend freshers either. I don't drink or party, and like yourself I'm slightly older than the average first year. I don't think it's being lazy, by not going, especially if you're travelling that far.
Reply 23
Original post by Seigi
Wow that's long. I'm commuting as well. although my bus journey is about an hour (apparently). I'm not sure whether to attend freshers either. I don't drink or party, and like yourself I'm slightly older than the average first year. I don't think it's being lazy, by not going, especially if you're travelling that far.

Thank you :smile: I have never liked drinking or partying and since I got married this May there is no reason for me to anyway! I don't need to try to find a boyfriend/girlfriend and I think it would be inappropriate for me to go to freshers parties... I am glad that I am not the only one who is questioning going.
why do you want to skip it?

freshers week refers to the actual social events of the first week (occasionally two weeks at some unis) of university - so the first week after you move into your halls

most of these will be drinking activities which I'm assuming is the issue... most universities now have SOME sober events as they are more aware that drinking only stuff can cause people to feel lonely and drop out - but it may be a little harder to find the sober events... my university did things like roller disco, BBQ etc so it was popular stuff that plenty of people went to

skipping social events won't ever affect your academic marks (except perhaps to improve them if you arne't hungover in your lectures) but, particularly in the first week, it's important to go along to a few things to meet people or university will be very lonely and the atmosphere in your halls might not be nice... you don't have to drink or stay super late but show up for a few hours on a few nights so you know everyone

EDIT: sorry just seen you're a mature student and commuting in - in which case ignore the above... go to your lectures (ALL of them) as they will tell you important course related things, you can meet people and it generally leaves a bad impression on lecturers yo may want help from later if you don't turn up... skip the drinks and parties if you want to that's no big deal, perhaps try and find a couple of people on your course on FB so you have someone to sit with on the first day? I did this and met that person to go to the lecture together which was nice
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending