The Student Room Group

Google STEP 2017 - Summer Trainee Engineering Programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Thanks again for your advices :smile: Will do my best to get to what I want ! I wish you good luck for your future applications :tongue:
I'm going to apply to this for next year, when do applications open?
Reply 102
How long was the internship for?
Reply 103
Hello to everyone!
I'll apply to the STEP 2018, but I need some infos to prepare myself better.

First of all, when application will open?

I'm good with C, i know the data structures and the best implementation of them, but I haven't focused too much on algorithms such as search algorithms and sorting algoritms (am I forgetting any?)...
Do I need to know how to implement them in order to do a good interview?
I also know Java but my knoledge ends on really basics concept of multithreading and networking, will it be enough?

Another thing, my curriculum sucks I've no working experience or internships (probably this summer I'll do an internship) and
I only attended a competition for two years when I was at the high school, no more. How many chances do I have to get an interview?
I need any kind of advices for this great opportunity!

Thanks in advance for the help and congratulation with everyone who got the internship and everyone who tried!
Original post by Danver
Hello to everyone!
I'll apply to the STEP 2018, but I need some infos to prepare myself better.

First of all, when application will open?

I'm good with C, i know the data structures and the best implementation of them, but I haven't focused too much on algorithms such as search algorithms and sorting algoritms (am I forgetting any?)...
I also know Java but my knoledge ends on really basics concept of multithreading and networking, will it be enough?

Another thing, my curriculum sucks I've no working experience or internships (probably this summer I'll do an internship) and
I only attended a competition for two years when I was at the high school, no more. How many chances do I have to get an interview?
I need any kind of advices for this great opportunity!

Thanks in advance for the help and congratulation with everyone who got the internship and everyone who tried!

Hi,

Applications this year opened in October I think, it's usually around that time every year. Yes, knowing searching and sorting algorithms is really important for the interviews they might come up. If you know C you don't really need to know Java to get an internship offer. It might help though because from what I've noticed most STEP projects are in Java.

Since this internship is for 1st or 2nd year students they don't really expect you to have any other internships (even though it really helps if you do). You can just show a strong interest through other activities like the competition you mentioned or maybe building an application yourself.
Original post by Danver

Original post by thecsstudent
Hi,

If you know C you don't really need to know Java to get an internship offer. It might help though because from what I've noticed most STEP projects are in Java.

Also note that the interview will be in an OOP language, so one of Java, C++, or Python.
Reply 106
Original post by thecsstudent

Since this internship is for 1st or 2nd year students they don't really expect you to have any other internships (even though it really helps if you do). You can just show a strong interest through other activities like the competition you mentioned or maybe building an application yourself.

I'll apply as a 2nd year student. I'm using this year to learn more things than I can on my own. In the first year of university we learn only C.
I'm developing a really stupid android app that has nothing to do with data structures and other things like that (It's an app that helps you try to stop smoking). I hope it can help me to get the interview.

Original post by bigboateng_
Also note that the interview will be in an OOP language, so one of Java, C++, or Python.

Thanks for the clarification!

It seems that I can get an interview if I apply early, am I right?
But how hard is the interview? Can you give me some examples of question that they asked you?

If I get the intership, do they cover every expense that you have to afford?
Original post by Danver

Thanks for the clarification!

It seems that I can get an interview if I apply early, am I right?
But how hard is the interview? Can you give me some examples of question that they asked you?

If I get the intership, do they cover every expense that you have to afford?

Yes I recommend applying early, as in first day, or at worst first week the open the applications.

I would say my first interview was the hardest at the time, but it was more challenging as opposed to hard. The problem was that given dates of events on Google calendar for example, I should print out the times events clashed. I did come up with a solution and the interviewer would ask about edge cases and how I would handle them, and optimizing the algorithm etc. My second interview however was okay. A bunch of mini data structure questions about linkedlist, dictionaries/hashmaps, arrays, and the run time of their operations. Then he asked me to create a class for a game which wasn't bad. I also recommend asking questions, find out what they do and ask how they're solving specific problems. In my case the person worked in nlp/ml for google now so I was asking what kind of technology they used etc.
& Yes they cover all expense.
Yes I recommend applying early, as in first day, or at worst first week the open the applications.

I would say my first interview was the hardest at the time, but it was more challenging as opposed to hard. The problem was that given dates of events on Google calendar for example, I should print out the times events clashed. I did come up with a solution and the interviewer would ask about edge cases and how I would handle them, and optimizing the algorithm etc. My second interview however was okay. A bunch of mini data structure questions about linkedlist, dictionaries/hashmaps, arrays, and the run time of their operations. Then he asked me to create a class for a game which wasn't bad. I also recommend asking questions, find out what they do and ask how they're solving specific problems. In my case the person worked in nlp/ml for google now so I was asking what kind of technology they used etc.

What was your solution?
Reply 109
Hi everyone,
I'm again here to ask some other infos.

I live in Italy, where if you want to do an internship it's necessary that your university contributes economically in taxes. The contribution and the internship is ruled by a "contract" between the company and the university. This contract fixes a lot of other things such as insurace and other stuff.
It's totally different if the company decides to hire you for a fixed-term contract. In this case your university won't take part in that.

My problem is that my university allows me to have ONLY ONE internship during my ENTIRE graduation for a maximum of 300 working hours (7,5 weeks, STEP lasts for 12 weeks). This summer I will probably have an internship in another company and I was relying on this internship in order to have a presentable CV for when I'll apply at Google.
So, if I have an intership this year, I won't be able to have an internship the next year.

Given this, what I would like to know is: does Google need all that bureaucratic stuff from your university to hire you as an intern or does they hire you like a fixed-term contract worker?

Sorry for the messy explaination and any possible english mistake.

Thanks in advance for every your effort in trying to understand something.
Original post by Danver
Hi everyone,
I'm again here to ask some other infos.

I live in Italy, where if you want to do an internship it's necessary that your university contributes economically in taxes. The contribution and the internship is ruled by a "contract" between the company and the university. This contract fixes a lot of other things such as insurace and other stuff.
It's totally different if the company decides to hire you for a fixed-term contract. In this case your university won't take part in that.

My problem is that my university allows me to have ONLY ONE internship during my ENTIRE graduation for a maximum of 300 working hours (7,5 weeks, STEP lasts for 12 weeks). This summer I will probably have an internship in another company and I was relying on this internship in order to have a presentable CV for when I'll apply at Google.
So, if I have an intership this year, I won't be able to have an internship the next year.

Given this, what I would like to know is: does Google need all that bureaucratic stuff from your university to hire you as an intern or does they hire you like a fixed-term contract worker?

Sorry for the messy explaination and any possible english mistake.

Thanks in advance for every your effort in trying to understand something.

It's the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, all. I am from India, currently studying in Hong Kong. Am I eligible to apply for Google STEP program, as I am a non-European?
Original post by harishjhaldiyal
Okay, I have already applied being a non-European. I applied on the 3rd day from the date of opening of applications, and here is my resume. Please suggest if I can get to interview round or not.

hey, i can't really tell if you will get an interview or not but I hope you do! your resume looks good but theres nothing on your github. I'll suggest you put code for your personal projects there
hey, i can't really tell if you will get an interview or not but I hope you do! your resume looks good but theres nothing on your github. I'll suggest you put code for your personal projects there

Well, okay. And what about the European thing? I mean, I am from Asia. Will it affect my application?
Well, okay. And what about the European thing? I mean, I am from Asia. Will it affect my application?

nope I met people from Russia, Kazakhstan, etc so its fine.
nope I met people from Russia, Kazakhstan, etc so its fine.

I'm a bit confused. Lol. I mean, both Russia and Kazakhstan have some part in Europe. Did you meet anyone properly from within Asia?

Hi! I've just put code of my all projects at GitHub. Can you visit there and let me know if it looks better now? Or is there anything else to do?
Reply 117
your resume looks stunning. i think you will have sure chance of getting interviewed because you have applied so early and you have done many good projects out of course. but i do not know about they select Asians or not. I'll tag a guy who can answer this question. i also want to know about this. can @bigboateng_ please tell me whether they accept people from Asia or not?
Reply 118

Did they ask you to code these mini data structure questions about linkedlist, dictionaries/hashmaps, arrays? I mean, arrays and dictionaries are fine, but linked lists and hashmaps are quite hard to implement as a code.
I'm a bit confused. Lol. I mean, both Russia and Kazakhstan have some part in Europe. Did you meet anyone properly from within Asia?

Original post by kumar5
your resume looks stunning. i think you will have sure chance of getting interviewed because you have applied so early and you have done many good projects out of course. but i do not know about they select Asians or not. I'll tag a guy who can answer this question. i also want to know about this. can @bigboateng_ please tell me whether they accept people from Asia or not?

Please look on the application website, i do not want to give wrong information in regards to which countries can/cannot apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending