Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How to actually start a conversation with people..not the awkward ones either XD???

ReputationRep:
    I think "socially awkward" is a term that is not very helpful. However, I find that talking to people who don't ask questions back to be hard work. A good conversation is a two way exchange. But if one person is doing all the work asking questions and the other is either giving one word answers or not responding, then you have a conversation that is going to dry up pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    if you struggle to answer questions or don't know how to elaborate, think like you're playing a word association game - they ask about a topic, you answer, then you bring up a related topic - not too narrow, something that they can answer with more than a yes or no...
    if they seem not to be elaborating, maybe ask further - it is hard to find a subject of interest in the person without continuously changing the subject, but again with the word association, if they bring something up, it's obviously more significant than other possible answers they could've given - go with that, discuss it, and don't feel bad if you differ in opinion on something - if you're ever unsure, start with a neutral standpoint, then once you have an idea of theirs, either agree because you feel the same, or to lower tension when you disagree, give your point, but explain how you understand theirs, criticising their opinion as much as your own....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikaela!)
    Best awkward conversation starters?
    This your first time here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendrik Lamar)
    This your first time here?
    LOL oh i love that one!

Nice day isnt it hm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I think "socially awkward" is a term that is not very helpful. However, I find that talking to people who don't ask questions back to be hard work. A good conversation is a two way exchange. But if one person is doing all the work asking questions and the other is either giving one word answers or not responding, then you have a conversation that is going to dry up pretty quickly.
    yh im naturally quite inquisitive, so that works okay for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.