Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

3 or 4 A-Levels watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR, So with results day coming tomorrow I will have to finalise my choices. At the moment I have chosen to study: Maths, History, German and Physics. My problem is that I don't know whether I will be able to handle 4 subjects and perform well in all of them.

My aim for A-Level is Straight A's and although I think I'm capable of achieving this in 4 subjects, I don't know whether I will have the motivation to do so - during GCSE's I only found motivation about a month before exams which is way too late :/

Therefore, I think I may benefit more from just taking 3 subjects as it will require less work to achieve my goal and I will therefore have more motivation to revise. I have no plans or career paths for what I want to do after A-Levels though so I don't know which subject I could drop, as i'm not attached to any of them lol.

Please comment and let me know what you guys think - 3 or 4? ;P

ReputationRep:
    You only need 3 A-Levels for almost all uni courses so concentrating your energy rather than spreading yourself thin might be a good strategy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've looked at a few universities and they all want AAB usually so I might just go with 3, I dunno which subject to drop though :/

ReputationRep:
    4. Work hard and you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    If you are nearly CERTAIN about the course you want to do and know exactly what subjects and grades they need, then go with 3. If you are unsure about the course, take another facilitating subject (so 4) so you have a wider range of courses that you can be eligible for with your subjects and more options.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't push it by doing 4; I wanted to do so at first but I think it would be less of a struggle to do extremely well in 3 subjects than 4. Plus, a lot of universities focus on 3 a-level grades so don't stretch it in the hope that unis will accept you for having 4 a-levels

#QualityNotQuantity
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OceanSea)
    If you can drop one after the first year and just do it for AS, go for four. You might also want to do all four at the start and then just drop your least favourite after a few weeks, ya know? However I think that as time progresses you'll probably need to focus your attention on just the three, especially as that's what you need for uni.
    Good luck with your results btw!
    I agree

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.