Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I recently got AAAB at AS and I'm very happy with my results. I'm hoping to apply for medicine this year but I'm aware that most applicants will have AAAA.

Basically my question is: would it be worth applying to medicine at Edinburgh with AAAB? considering the sheer competition at their medical school, I'm worried I wouldn't stand a chance compared to the other candidates who probably have better AS grades. Or would it be better applying elsewhere and not waste a UCAS application?

I know that this year AS levels are slightly different so many universities will not be taking account AS levels at such depth. Also my B was in maths (which is still modular) so I'm hoping to resit the one module that lowered my grade and let me down. I go to a relatively poor sixth form, where most students got Es and Us at AS, and my GCSE score was the highest at my school, 9A*s and 1 A. I also have an extenuating circumstance due to family illness. Would this significantly improve my application chances?

My UKCAT score average is 780, if that helps. I have plenty of work experience, volunteering, extracurricular.

I'm also thinking about Imperial College, King's College and Hull York. Before my AS results I was considering Oxford but I now know I don't stand a chance.

Btw let me disclaim that I am extremely pleased and proud of my AS results. I am in no way complaining.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Also my underperformance was due to family illness. So my predicted A level grades for year 13 will be much higher

ReputationRep:
    First, AAAB is a great result wth!?!? You're fine!

Second, with a b at AS you are unlikely to get a place UNLESS you continue it into A2 (next year) as a fourth subject with a predicted grade of an A. Then the issue is solved!

Among other things it is vital for Edinburgh that you have a UKCAT of 720+, 8A*s at GCSE and a Situational Judgement Test Band 1. Without any of these you will be at a severe disadvantage. The UKCAT is less of a factor if it is slightly lower as long as everything else in your application is perfect. But it does look like you're all sorted! Good luck!

I personally don't think there's any need to talk about extenuating circumstances with Edinburgh judging how they already rank people and your very strong selection of grades.

ReputationRep:
    One more thing, Oxford do not look at AS grades in a mechanistic way at all so you have a good chance there, especially with those GCSE grades. They said only poor AS performance will become a factor in their decision but most medical applicants have either AAAB or AAAA at AS so that isn't an issue with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    One more thing, Oxford do not look at AS grades in a mechanistic way at all so you have a good chance there, especially with those GCSE grades. They said only poor AS performance will become a factor in their decision but most medical applicants have either AAAB or AAAA at AS so that isn't an issue with them.
    Ahh thank you so much for your advice! I worry too much about silly things. I'm so happy with my grades - thank you! I will definitely consider Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! Don't have any doubts, you are more than capable of getting an offer, and there will be people with a lot worse grades applying for the same thing!

Just work hard on a really eloquent and attention grabbing personal statement, and you'll be fine
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 2017medicine)
    Hi

I recently got AAAB at AS and I'm very happy with my results. I'm hoping to apply for medicine this year but I'm aware that most applicants will have AAAA.

Basically my question is: would it be worth applying to medicine at Edinburgh with AAAB? considering the sheer competition at their medical school, I'm worried I wouldn't stand a chance compared to the other candidates who probably have better AS grades. Or would it be better applying elsewhere and not waste a UCAS application?

I know that this year AS levels are slightly different so many universities will not be taking account AS levels at such depth. Also my B was in maths (which is still modular) so I'm hoping to resit the one module that lowered my grade and let me down. I go to a relatively poor sixth form, where most students got Es and Us at AS, and my GCSE score was the highest at my school, 9A*s and 1 A. I also have an extenuating circumstance due to family illness. Would this significantly improve my application chances?

My UKCAT score average is 780, if that helps. I have plenty of work experience, volunteering, extracurricular.

I'm also thinking about Imperial College, King's College and Hull York. Before my AS results I was considering Oxford but I now know I don't stand a chance.

Btw let me disclaim that I am extremely pleased and proud of my AS results. I am in no way complaining.

Thank you!
    Hey there,

Your academic results and UKCAT score are all great!

If you're worried about how each university will be considering AS results for the coming round of application, then have a look at this table:
    AS Admissions Policies for UK Medical Schools

As you can see, with your grades you can definitely apply to medicine, but for Edinburgh, you'll need to probably make sure that your B at AS Level is pushed up to an A by A2 year.

If you're unsure about any of the policies, don't hesitate to give the admissions offices of the unis you're interested in a ring! They are usually very helpful

The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.