Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a friend of mine applied to Uni and got in and told student finance that hes staying away from home during uni so he can claim some more money...

In what ways can SFE find out hes lying? If they do somehow prove it, can they do anything about it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they have the capabilities to find out, but the chances are slim depending on the connection between whatever accommodation he claims to live in and the university (Eg if he claims to live in halls he'll very likely be caught). Regardless, he's playing with fire. If he does get caught he'll have to repay the additional money and likely won't be able to get a student finance loan in the future. I guess he could get done for fraud though that's a little extreme. Though don't quote me on that - I'm not a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    I tried talking sense to him and he said hes staying privately... He said there's no way of them catching him but I may just be acting paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    yes they confirm with uni and private accommodation landlords.

ReputationRep:
    Then he's a fool and you should leave him to his demise

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.