Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was planning to go for an RAF pilot bursary which would leave me with 12 years of mandatory service after I left university.

I plan to study an MEng Aerospace Engineering at uni.

Would the 12 years gap between completing my course and looking for employment turn off employers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsernameUsernam3)
    Was planning to go for an RAF pilot bursary which would leave me with 12 years of mandatory service after I left university.

I plan to study an MEng Aerospace Engineering at uni.

Would the 12 years gap between completing my course and looking for employment turn off employers?
    Employers can't discriminate against people if they were serving something mandatory, especially unlikely if you're serving for the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Employers can't discriminate against people if they were serving something mandatory, especially unlikely if you're serving for the army.
    Really? Seems a bit weird because someone fresh off the degree will have forgotten less than me after 12 years.

ReputationRep:
    Late night bump

ReputationRep:
    You would not have 12 between graduation and work, you would have a degree AND 12 years work experience in a challenging job, where you would have had numerous opportunities develop technical, leadership and team working skills. I believe potential employers would look very favorably on this. Also you might decide you love the RAF and stay with them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.