Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to use this thread to build up a list of careers that geography graduates can do to help people and to hopefully dispell the myth that there are no decent careers out there for people with a geography degree. If anyone has any others just say and i'll add them to the list.

- Town planner
    - Environmental consultant
    - Cartographer
    - Teacher
    - Chartered accountant
    - Retail manager
    - Armed forces officer
    - Commercial officer
    - Market Analyst
    - Property Manager
    - Project Coordinator
    - Account Executive
    - Management Information Officer
    - GIS
    - Logistics
    - Transport Planning
    - Surveying

ReputationRep:
    Music journo!!

ReputationRep:
    You'd think that Geography degree would be better than a History degree in today's society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    You'd think that Geography degree would be better than a History degree in today's society.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Why?
    Dunno, just thought being very aware of the World is more important than dwelling on the past.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, it's very relevant to today's society. A Geography degree encompasses population trends, burglary, AIDS, racism, terrorism, international relations & politics, cultural attitudes, feminism, socioeconomic inequality, capitalism... volcanoes, earthquakes etc. But not enough people realise that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Absolutely, it's very relevant to today's society. A Geography degree encompasses population trends, burglary, AIDS, racism, terrorism, international relations & politics, cultural attitudes, feminism, socioeconomic inequality, capitalism... volcanoes, earthquakes etc. But not enough people realise that.
    yay, go us! it is true though. i have a hard time trying to explain to a lot of people that i am going to be doing a geography degree but am not doing anything that they think of as geography (physical).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Dunno, just thought being very aware of the World is more important than dwelling on the past.
    Being aware of the world today is important, but you can't just dismiss the past. History explains why attitudes/society/the world is like it is

ReputationRep:
    History = knowledge = power

Geography = Crayola, interspersed with tweed

Everybody knows this! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    yay, go us! it is true though. i have a hard time trying to explain to a lot of people that i am going to be doing a geography degree but am not doing anything that they think of as geography (physical).
    Snap!

ReputationRep:
    History = knowledge = power

Geography = Crayola, interspersed with tweed

Everybody knows this! :rolleyes:

Lol, well I wouldn't quite go that far! I do both hist and geog so I think I'm able to provide an unbiased enough opinion. People who say either subject is irrelevant are just stupid. IE "geography is just coloring in" or "why do we need to know what happened in the past?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Lol, well I wouldn't quite go that far! I do both hist and geog so I think I'm able to provide an unbiased enough opinion. People who say either subject is irrelevant are just stupid. IE "geography is just coloring in" or "why do we need to know what happened in the past?"
    I'm just playing on a lot of the street-myths about geography, afterall, I'm a historian-geographer too! Out of history and geography AS-level though - one of them can be revised in a weekend, the other simply can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Being aware of the world today is important, but you can't just dismiss the past. History explains why attitudes/society/the world is like it is
    Historians always say their subject's most important because society needs to learn from mistakes in the past to be more successful etc. But apply this to the real world; "mistakes" such as corruption, eye-for-an-eye war, adultery etc all continue, and people don't seem to learn from mistakes of the past. And in few careers are the patterns of thought developed through History directly relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Historians always say their subject's most important because society needs to learn from mistakes in the past to be more successful etc. But apply this to the real world; "mistakes" such as corruption, eye-for-an-eye war, adultery etc all continue, and people don't seem to learn from mistakes of the past. And in few careers are the patterns of thought developed through History directly relevant.
    What about the ability to sift through masses of source material, decipher varying viewpoints and to write a cogent argument? Isn't that why, after a straight Law degree, History is the most common background amongst those in the legal sector?

ReputationRep:
    What about the ability to sift through masses of source material, decipher varying viewpoints and to write a cogent argument?
    That's exactly what Geography essays consist of as well, along with essays in most other arts subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    That's exactly what Geography essays consist of as well, along with essays in most other arts subjects.
    True, but history is much more analytical than geography (at least in my experience). And of course history is relevent to a lot of jobs, you can apply history to almost anything. You say it has no bearing on todays society but I disagree, you can't begin to fully understand things as they are now unless you know how they used to be.

(I don't know why I'm standing up for History so much, I'm dropping it next year anyway!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm just playing on a lot of the street-myths about geography, afterall, I'm a historian-geographer too! Out of history and geography AS-level though - one of them can be revised in a weekend, the other simply can't.
    Very true. As I found out when I got a C for history in jan. (or are you meaning it the other way round?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Very true. As I found out when I got a C for history in jan. (or are you meaning it the other way round?)
    History - demands some hardcore revision.
    Geography - as Alan Partridge would say, "Textbook", can be knocked off in a matter of hours.

ReputationRep:
    Geography - as Alan Partridge would say, "Textbook", can be knocked off in a matter of hours.
    I agree. Having said that, I think I did crap in the geog exam

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with that to some extent, but I find it easier to pull something out of nothing in history, especially in the source questions. Not that I'd advise anyone not to revise...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2005

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.