Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm looking at 2 courses in particular, one being Economics, politics and international studies at Warwick, and the other being Economics with French at either Nottingham or Durham.
    Just wanted advice on which combination of subjects would give me the best chance of getting on one of the two courses?

1. Economics, French, Spanish
    2. History, French, Spanish
    3. History, Economics, French

Thanks in advance

PS. I'm a fluent Spanish speaker, so obviously taking Spanish instead of one of History or Economics should make things a bit easier, but am only willing to do it if it won't reduce my acceptance chances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shcfc99)
    Hi there,
    I'm looking at 2 courses in particular, one being Economics, politics and international studies at Warwick, and the other being Economics with French at either Nottingham or Durham.
    Just wanted advice on which combination of subjects would give me the best chance of getting on one of the two courses?

1. Economics, French, Spanish
    2. History, French, Spanish
    3. History, Economics, French

Thanks in advance
    Maths is recommended for economics courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    Maths is recommended for economics courses
    Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Maths is no longer a realistic option for me, so I'm trying to find ways round it. The 2 course I mentioned don't ask for maths specifically.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Maths is no longer a realistic option for me, so I'm trying to find ways round it. The 2 course I mentioned don't ask for maths specifically.
    Remember that most applicants will be offering Maths at A-Level, and that Economics at university has a large amount of mathematical elements in it. Micro can pretty much be pure maths, so if you don't like Maths then you may need to consider if Economics is the best option for you. I know that sounds harsh but it's sadly the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Remember that most applicants will be offering Maths at A-Level, and that Economics at university has a large amount of mathematical elements in it. Micro can pretty much be pure maths, so if you don't like Maths then you may need to consider if Economics is the best option for you. I know that sounds harsh but it's sadly the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get what you are saying but the Economics courses I'm leaning towards are more languages orientated, and would not require the same level of maths as say an economics with finance course would.
    Also, the warwick course does ask for A* gcse maths, but i've got that so I was hoping it would be enough (?)

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are saying but the Economics courses I'm leaning towards are more languages orientated, and would not require the same level of maths as say an economics with finance course would.
    Also, the warwick course does ask for A* gcse maths, but i've got that so I was hoping it would be enough (?)
    Are the courses BA or BSc youre looking at?

ReputationRep:

The Warwick course is BSc, and the Nottingham one is BA

ReputationRep:
    Anyway out of those 3 I wouldn't think it would matter too much. They're all strong subjects which show you have the ability to do well at uni.

ReputationRep:
    The Warwick course is BSc, and the Nottingham one is BA
    I'd recommend the BSc which would have more maths and if they only ask for gcse maths A* then go for it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I just had a look on the websites for you. Durham says 'In the second year, you study four compulsory modules covering French language, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics and Economic Data Analysis'. This will be heavily mathematical. During the first year at Nottingham it is also compulsory to do some kind of quantative/mathematical modules.

Remember that Economics WITH French means 75% Economics, so when you say that you are leaning towards something more language-orientated, you may wish to change the ratio to 50/50 or 75/25 in favour of French.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend the BSc which would have more maths and if they only ask for gcse maths A* then go for it.
    But considering I wont have a Maths A level, should i go with the 2 languages and either economics/history? Or just the one language?

ReputationRep:
    But considering I wont have a Maths A level, should i go with the 2 languages and either economics/history? Or just the one language?
    Well as history and Spanish wouldn't be relative to your course then you could probably choose either...probably Spanish as you say it would be easier. Although Spanish A2 you actually have to learn facts and info and can't just stroll in to the exam like AS and come out with an A.

ReputationRep:
    Well as history and Spanish wouldn't be relative to your course then you could probably choose either...probably Spanish as you say it would be easier. Although Spanish A2 you actually have to learn facts and info and can't just stroll in to the exam like AS and come out with an A.
    Ok, think I'll do that.
    Thanks so much for your help tonight. Really appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.