Turn on thread page Beta

question about medicine admissions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    if i have bad gcse grades, but AAA at AS and A*A*A at A2 and a good UKCAT/BMAT score will medical schools still consider me?

ReputationRep:
    How bad are we talking? Some medical schools have fairly lenient minimum requirements, others want to see very high GCSEs regardless of A-level performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    How bad are we talking? Some medical schools have fairly lenient minimum requirements, others want to see very high GCSEs regardless of A-level performance.
    like 2 or 3 A* 2As and 4 B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evess)
    like 2 or 3 A* 2As and 4 B
    You'd have to avoid places like Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford and any of the others who rank based on GCSEs, but I think you'd still have options open to you. Just do some research on the requirements for each university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You'd have to avoid places like Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford and any of the others who rank based on GCSEs, but I think you'd still have options open to you. Just do some research on the requirements for each university!
    thank you very much, i have done quite a lot of research on university's entry requirements, for example imperial college says they no longer have a minimum gcse requirement, however cambridge says they require C (not applying there btw). i am just very confused as the university's websites ive looked at say different things to what people are saying on here

ReputationRep:
    As Helenia has said, each university is different in what they consider with applicants; the vast majority have these requirements clearly on their website.

Best advice I can give is to sit down for a few hours, and visit each of the medical school websites individually, making a table in essence. The UKCAT website has a really nice PDF summary on their website: "About the test" > University Applications". Email those which you'd like more clarification on (although they may take a while to reply, especially for the new few weeks!)
    As to what people say on here, the websites are definitely the best guidelines to go by.

Best of luck with the application process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zak1995)
    As Helenia has said, each university is different in what they consider with applicants; the vast majority have these requirements clearly on their website.

Best advice I can give is to sit down for a few hours, and visit each of the medical school websites individually, making a table in essence. The UKCAT website has a really nice PDF summary on their website: "About the test" > University Applications". Email those which you'd like more clarification on (although they may take a while to reply, especially for the new few weeks!)
    As to what people say on here, the websites are definitely the best guidelines to go by.

Best of luck with the application process!
    ok thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When applying for a graduate entry with either a 1st or 2:1 would they look at your A-levels and do they have the right to turn you down if they aren't let's say a min of ABB (like some uni say) because I thought the whole point of applying via graduate entry is because your alevels were not good enough????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FemaleBo55)
    When applying for a graduate entry with either a 1st or 2:1 would they look at your A-levels and do they have the right to turn you down if they aren't let's say a min of ABB (like some uni say) because I thought the whole point of applying via graduate entry is because your alevels were not good enough????
    It's the same case here too; each university is different. If they explicitly ask for a certain qualification, whether degree classification or A-level, and you do not meet it, they will not consider your application - bit **** really, but the nature of the application process.

Applying to a graduate entry medicine (GEM) course, most university's don't ask for minimum A-level grades, and rather look at your degree classification and entrance exam results (UKCAT/GAMSAT/BMAT) more heavily for initial screening.

However, like you said, some do take them into account, the reason for that is most likely to limit the applicants to those who didn't achieve the high-end AAA+ they ask for at undergraduate, but still achieved ABB+. Although, they are definitely a minority from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FemaleBo55)
    Originally, the point of GEM was for people who had done a different degree and then decided they wanted to do medicine. It's now become an alternative route for people whose A-levels weren't quite up to scratch first time, but I don't think that's what the original intention was. Some still have A-level requirements, some don't - you need to look at each one to see if you fit the criteria.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.