Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i recently got my AS results and managed to get AABB.
    In Economics, English lit, maths and further maths respectively.
    Although these are some amazing results i'm a bit disappointed.
    so since my college is going to predict me 1 grade higher and im going to drop further maths at the end the grades going to my uni would be A*,A*,A.
    Would it be worth me applying to Cambridge to study Economics?

ReputationRep:
    It's worth a shot. You'll never get in if you never try in the first place. You've still got things like the pre-interview assessment to impress your application on paper and Cambridge do try to interview the majority of people who have a realistic chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    It's worth a shot. You'll never get in if you never try in the first place.
    Economics, sorry
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AstroFonic)
    so since my college is going to predict me 1 grade higher and im going to drop further maths at the end the grades going to my uni would be A*,A*,A.
    BB in Maths & FM is, I'm afraid, probably a fatal blow to an application for Economics. Your best option, if you want to pursue Cambridge, is a post A-level application with A*A*A* (note the extra A*).

And FM is commonly offered by successful Cambridge Econ applicants, so dropping it could also reduce your chances.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't hurt to try, just remember the deadline for submitting your UCAS is a bit earlier

ReputationRep:
    Econimics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy.
    Having a very strong maths (and preferably FM) grade is crucial for their course. Maths/FM is even more important than A-level economics.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i want to study medicine but i don't know if my UMS is sufficient for cambridge. i got 5 As at as but one was gen st, and gcse was 10a* and a B in eng lit. since maths and rs were theonly old subjects, they are all that i know the ums for:
    maths: c1=98, c2=95, s1=87 (dodgy average)
    rs= 100 ums and 63 ums (v dodgy average)

any advice wouldbe really welcomed, as i currently have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to 'uni applications'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Econimics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy.
    Having a very strong maths (and preferably FM) grade is crucial for their course. Maths/FM is even more important than A-level economics.
    I was predicted an A but had a bad day with one of the modules bringing my overall down to a B, but say if i'm predicted an A* in Maths by my school, would that make a difference?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Unknown_12345)
    Hi guys, i want to study medicine but i don't know if my UMS is sufficient for cambridge. i got 5 As at as but one was gen st, and gcse was 10a* and a B in eng lit. since maths and rs were theonly old subjects, they are all that i know the ums for:
    maths: c1=98, c2=95, s1=87 (dodgy average)
    rs= 100 ums and 63 ums (v dodgy average)

any advice wouldbe really welcomed, as i currently have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to 'uni applications'
    Best thing will be to ask the Admissions Tutor in his thread - but wait until after the Bank Holiday
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4238242
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I was predicted an A but had a bad day with one of the modules bringing my overall down to a B, but say if i'm predicted an A* in Maths by my school, would that make a difference?
    And FM?

What are your individual UMS for each of your maths & FM modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And FM?

What are your individual UMS for each of your maths & FM modules?
    I was predicted a B for further maths, but i've dropped it , if i kept it i would've most likely been predicted an A
    maths-
    C1: 72/100
    C2: 80/100
    S1: 63/100
    fmaths-
    FP1: 64/100
    D1: 72/100
    D2: 74/100

ReputationRep:
    Best thing will be to ask the Admissions Tutor in his thread - but wait until after the Bank Holiday
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4238242
    thank you so much!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Unknown_12345)
    thank you so much!
    You can't. The thread is temporarily closed until Tuesday

It will give you time to craft the perfect post - enjoy the moment. I'll be looking out for it.

No pressure
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I was predicted a B for further maths, but i've dropped it , if i kept it i would've most likely been predicted an A
    maths-
    C1: 72/100
    C2: 80/100
    S1: 63/100
    fmaths-
    FP1: 64/100
    D1: 72/100
    D2: 74/100
    So even if Cambridge disregarded the S1 (they allow 1, or sometimes 2, dodgy modules), they will be concerned by your C1 & C2 - and all of FM...

Sorry not to have better news.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge takes a school's prediction with a large pinch of salt as it's often very unreliable.
    They look at each module and scrutinise to make their own prediction on probability of applicant achieving a grade.
    You can't really blame one bad module for getting B in both Maths and FM......

Edit: just saw your module UMS.
    FYI most of successful applicants for their course have 90+ UMS in their maths. Some may have a few modules in mid-high 80s, but that's the sort of standard they are expecting from their applicants.

If you're very keen on applying to Cambridge, your chance is applying post-A level if you achieve their minimum requirement = A*A*A. One of A* needs to be maths.

ReputationRep:
    You can't. The thread is temporarily closed until Tuesday

It will give you time to craft the perfect post - enjoy the moment. I'll be looking out for it.

No pressure
    Ah right! Thank you for letting me know! Oh dear, I'll try not to disappoint *starts writing drafts* hahaha but thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.