Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys,
    My hairs thinning slightly, so it's not as thick as it used to be
    I want to get highlights in my hair, would this weaken it more?

ReputationRep:
    Generally it would weaken,
    But, dyes used with hair strengthener could be okay, as long as bleach isn't used.
    Maybe explore other ways of getting highlights, maybe henna while trying to improve the condition, then dye later.

(Original post by Nimrahk123)
    Generally it would weaken,
    But, dyes used with hair strengthener could be okay, as long as bleach isn't used.
    Maybe explore other ways of getting highlights, maybe henna while trying to improve the condition, then dye later.
    So how can bleach not be used, why is it used though ?
    I've used henna before quite a few times
    But right now tbh I just want highlights
    But in still a bit worried whether I should because my hairs weakening at the top and two days after I wash it its not thick and you can see my scalp slightly in places

ReputationRep:
    It tends to depend on hair colour, if you're hair is particularly dark like mine bleach must be used to give the colour vibrancy, if you have lighter hair it isn't really needed.
    If you plan to go to a salon you can ask about no bleach being used, some will always use it, others will not, so ask before m
    To home dye it packs normally specify if contain bleach so avoid those ( for dark hair would suggest dying blonde so hair goes a light brown then dye over in the specific colour).
    I would suggest hair thickener and strengtheners to be used if you're a bit self conscious about the thickness.

ReputationRep:
    yes, highlights would thin it, but if you're more concerned about thinning hair i suggest you start a treatment on it. A weekly application if coconut oil is a cheap and amazing way to maintain it.
    keep it on for a few hours then wash out

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys,
    My hairs thinning slightly, so it's not as thick as it used to be
    I want to get highlights in my hair, would this weaken it more?

ReputationRep:
    Repair and look after your hair before you think of dying it as it will only damage it more. Coconut/ castor oil dare both very good for strengthening hair. After a few months of weekly treatments your hair should start to feel thicker

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.