Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    going to start UNI this year and im looking forward to it, but one major drawback is the fact that i have a part time job and ill have to quit it, to go to another part of the country to start UNI. what's pretty annoying is the fact it took so long to firstly find this job and the fact im going to lose out on a pretty decent job for someone my age, paying 25% more than min wage in the UK, for next to no skill really.

anyway, i was going to start training and work there a month and quit, ive worked at another branch before, and saw many people do this, but honestly its pretty scummy to do. Now i find out i really start the job a week before i leave for uni, so im just going to turn it down, now... to save both our time really and not ruin my chances at another job, but the training would have been nice.

Im just wondering if getting a Job at UNI is easy ?, i live in london, and im going to another city which is 35 times smaller, and getting a job here takes so much effort and time, getting a job in a smaller place is going to be so much of a ask. is there even a point of getting a part time job at UNI ?... honestly annoyed that im going to miss out 5k from my contract hours and what could have been 8-9K with the extra time, more money would have been nice really.

ReputationRep:
    Most students have part time jobs, they aren't very hard to come by. There is definitely a point in getting a part time job at uni, you want to be able to prove that you can manage your time well to graduate employers and the best way to do that is by juggling a job and uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    Most students have part time jobs, they aren't very hard to come by. There is definitely a point in getting a part time job at uni, you want to be able to prove that you can manage your time well to graduate employers and the best way to do that is by juggling a job and uni.
    what are the common jobs people do ?
    ive looked for branches of the shop i used to work for and was going to work for, again. and it seems like they have one/two in my new location ... and in london they have a good amount... seeing as this is the only place that has ever given me a job and one that im used to , it doesn't give great hopes to job prospects at uni outside of london..
    anyways When i move over ill have a look at, should be some jobs open at around that time, when its cold, people don't apply for jobs and christmas hiring around the corner.

My main worry is, firstly if it's hard to get a job in london, with 7M people, its going to much harder in a place thats the size of 4 boroughs of london. I dont really need a job, but i do want the extra money and do want to do something that pays in my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    going to start UNI this year and im looking forward to it, but one major drawback is the fact that i have a part time job and ill have to quit it, to go to another part of the country to start UNI. what's pretty annoying is the fact it took so long to firstly find this job and the fact im going to lose out on a pretty decent job for someone my age, paying 25% more than min wage in the UK, for next to no skill really.

anyway, i was going to start training and work there a month and quit, ive worked at another branch before, and saw many people do this, but honestly its pretty scummy to do. Now i find out i really start the job a week before i leave for uni, so im just going to turn it down, now... to save both our time really and not ruin my chances at another job, but the training would have been nice.

Im just wondering if getting a Job at UNI is easy ?, i live in london, and im going to another city which is 35 times smaller, and getting a job here takes so much effort and time, getting a job in a smaller place is going to be so much of a ask. is there even a point of getting a part time job at UNI ?... honestly annoyed that im going to miss out 5k from my contract hours and what could have been 8-9K with the extra time, more money would have been nice really.
    There's usually plenty of part time work on campus in the student bars, and then there should be plenty of places in town that will want students as well. If you have access to a car then that might help as it will mean you can branch out further. The only problem with off campus work is it might be hard for you to go home during the holidays unless you can get a transfer to another store if it has stores across the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)

Your university should be able to help you out and also ask your uni if theres a limit to how much you can work. I would recommend not working more than 18 hours a week

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.