Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone have any recommendations of plays I could compare and contrast with Who's Afraid of Viriginia Woolf?
    (for my English coursework)
    Any help greatly appreciated
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by maary)
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone have any recommendations of plays I could compare and contrast with Who's Afraid of Viriginia Woolf?
    (for my English coursework)
    Any help greatly appreciated
    What themes or issues will you be focusing on for the Who's Afraid play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maary)
    recommendations of plays I could compare and contrast with Who's Afraid of Viriginia Woolf?
    I would recommend You Can’t Take it With You and Period of Adjustment. They have similarities in terms of themes and stylistic tools. In all these three, the theme of fissures between couples is central. Period of Adjustment compares and contrasts two couples, just as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf does, while You Can't Take it With You uses a couple's game, just like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. However, the three plays also differ in terms of contexts, outcomes, and lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    What themes or issues will you be focusing on for the Who's Afraid play?
    I was thinking either theatre of the absurd/ mental decline etc or husband and wife roles and relationships However, these aren't set in stone
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by maary)
    I was thinking either theatre of the absurd/ mental decline etc or husband and wife roles and relationships However, these aren't set in stone
    I don't know anything about the first idea. Do you have to compare two plays, or is that what you've just decided?

Mental decline (maybe rephrase this as "minds under stress" if you were to pick this one?)
    A Streetcar Named Desire (alcoholism)A Cat on A Hot Tin Roof (closeted homosexuality)
    Hamlet (loss of sanity)
    Angels in America (diff aspects of minds under stress)
    Deal of a Salesman (depression/alcoholism/suicide)
    Equus (about a boy who gets treated by a psychiatrist for blinding 6 horses [fav play ever])
    Not About Heroes (Shell shock from WW1)

Controversial Gender Roles:
    A Doll's House (Victorian housewife wants a divorce [caused uproar in C19th)
    Top Girls (about different women throughout history discuss feminine ideals)
    Cloud 9 (very complicated; opposite gender, class and racial roles)
    A Woman of No Importance (satirical social criticism on gender and marriage)

I've read all of these apart from Salesman, Cloud 9 and Hamlet. But if you decide to pick any the other ones, I'll can guide you if you wish.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.