Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else constantly feel disappointed with themselves? Watch

What?

ReputationRep:
    Chill.

I used to be like that. Then I set myself free.

I can't tell you how I did it. I just did it.

Stop comparing yourself to others. Setting goals is ok, but not achieving them shouldn't torment you.

Just.

Stop.

Worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I feel like this right now.

ReputationRep:
    SameI simply cannot stop comparing myself to others and when i do well my expectations grow and I am even more disappointed due to my comparison group habituating. Just seems i'll always be unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    yep, all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda get how you feel
    Can I ask one thing though? Do expectations of friends/family come into this?
    Last year when I recieved my results I was disappointed and I knew my parents were too, yet they appreciated my grades nonetheless. To do history at A-level you needed either a C or B at GCSE, I can't remember, but I ended up with a D and was still accepted on.
    For Philosophy and Ethics I have two teachers, one for philosophy and the other for ethics. They have managed to pick up on the fact that I am disappointed by any grade I recieve in essays, they give me small sort of pep talks saying that I will be fine and that at some point I will sort of do better ()its hard to word) I came out with a D at AS.
    I always feel that I'm doing much worse than most other people in my lessons.
    What I am going to try and do in year 13 is atleast act like Im positive and revise more
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    RUuuNNING AROUND LIKE A CLOWN ON PURPOSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Chill.

I used to be like that. Then I set myself free.

I can't tell you how I did it. I just did it.

Stop comparing yourself to others. Setting goals is ok, but not achieving them shouldn't torment you.

Just.

Stop.

Worrying.
    You're a great person.

ReputationRep:
    I used to base my self worth on my grades just like millions of students are currently doing. This was because from the day we start school, we are told that our grades are everything and without them what even is the point in living? The only way we can make our parents, our teachers and our friends proud is by getting good grades. I spent the past 2 years severely depressed because (among other things) I couldn't get the grades that everyone else wanted me to and the grades that I thought were the only things that were going to make everyone love me and get me into a good career.

Glad I got out of that one :lol:

Once you realise that your self worth and success does not come from a letter on paper, that is when you'll stop feeling so disappointed and embrace your other qualities

ReputationRep:
    Its his ambition god damn it.

He gets a grade and wants better...

ReputationRep:
    Literally me right now

ReputationRep:
    Take it from a successful Trinity Cambridge Maths applicant - good grades won't make you feel much happier if that's all you think about.

Life is about so much more than that! Go out, try things, work hard, play hard, meet people, read books, watch films, get involved in politics, sports, unions, play games, draw, write, sing and dance!

Don't just sit at home thinking about grades, live!

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Missing an A and getting a B really chaps my anus. High expectations I guess.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. Actually, I'm really proud of myself.

EDIT: I got A*AAAAC(self taught maths AS & A during gap year when traveling), then a top undergrad degree, then a top masters degree, and I just created my business yesterday.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I feel disappointed but I'm just going to work harder in A2 and hope I do better with hard work. No point thinking about my results because it's done and I don't have the money to fix it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus Condom)
    Thank you for the replies. I understand what you two are saying about not letting grades mean everything. But I'm not worried about getting into Uni or getting a decent job. To me, there is an overarching message that says a lot about me; I had one goal set for the last two years and I failed to achieve it. If I set a goal to get to point A, and end up at point B, I'm clearing doing something wrong. I don't want to this to constantly happen. Hope this makes sense.
    And so... you want other people to come to this thread and say 'ooh i'm a failure, i didn't do this one thing on the day that would have mattered'? That hypothetical future thread sounds a bit like a wallowing ground for misery - come on! Be optimistic! Go out and find the silver linings! Realise how far you've actually come, and the opportunities that are available to you not just in the future, but right now!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus Condom)
    I'm not directly comparing myself to others. I'm saying I don't get that feeling I stated before. What do you mean by setting yourself free? Do you mean mediocrity?
    I assumed you were comparing yourself to others because you said you didn't want to be 'average'.

Now, listen. Detach mediocrity with freedom in your mind. Being 'free' doesn't mean you have to be 'mediocre'. It means you remain stable no matter what happens to you.

The best way I can describe it is that you have to disassociate yourself from everything. When things happen in your life, it's not happening to you. You are merely watching with interest through the eyes of someone else.

It's like if you were watching something happen to someone on tv. If they do well, that's cool, interesting. If something bad happens to them, that's cool, interesting.

Disassociate yourself from your preconceptions.

ReputationRep:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sWlXsEj1RpM

Watch this video and listen closely to the speeches, it's empowering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.