Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So for A2 how do target grades get calculated?
    If you get say, BBBB in AS does that mean target grades will be AAAA? BBBB?
    or CCCC?

Just so I have reference as I look for Unis.

(Also If I have to read one more post on this forum about someone who is SO DISAPPOINTED that they got AAAB! and not AAAA. Seriously there are other people with grades far lower that feel like **** when they see this. Be proud but don't be obnoxious about it; show some humility).

Also congrats to everyone who managed to pass into the second quarter quell of the A level games. Commiserations to the fallen.

ReputationRep:
    Surely someone must know..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Roundhead)
    So for A2 how do target grades get calculated?
    If you get say, BBBB in AS does that mean target grades will be AAAA? BBBB?
    or CCCC?

Just so I have reference as I look for Unis.
    You mean predicted grades or target grades?

Target grades are calculated by term assessments, effort grades from homework, and usually contribution to class.

Predicted grades are calculated by what grade you got at AS as well as your A2 mid-term (Autumn) assessments.

It depends how far in the grade boundaries you were. If you got two high As in exam 1 and exam 2 in say Psychology, then most teachers would predict you an A or even an A* if you kept getting high As in your autumn assessments.

There's a fair bit of analysis and discussion teachers have to do amongst themselves to establish a realistic grade for each of their students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    You mean predicted grades or target grades?

Target grades are calculated by term assessments, effort grades from homework, and usually contribution to class.

Predicted grades are calculated by what grade you got at AS as well as your A2 mid-term (Autumn) assessments.

It depends how far in the grade boundaries you were. If you got two high As in exam 1 and exam 2 in say Psychology, then most teachers would predict you an A or even an A* if you kept getting high As in your autumn assessments.

There's a fair bit of analysis and discussion teachers have to do amongst themselves to establish a realistic grade for each of their students.
    I was 2 UMS marks off a B in Politics and 3 UMS off a B in Law. So would that mean that I would likely be targeted a B in those subjects?

Also I don't know how I got about getting my paper remarked of it its even worth it?

I mean I can't very well apply to many universities with BCC as my targets.
    BBB would give me a much better chance at getting a conditional offer.

Mind you people who got DDE in their exams who were targeted AAA I hope don't keep their targets or I will be annoyed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Roundhead)
    I was 2 UMS marks off a B in Politics and 3 UMS off a B in Law. So would that mean that I would likely be targeted a B in those subjects?

Also I don't know how I got about getting my paper remarked of it its even worth it?

I mean I can't very well apply to many universities with BCC as my targets.
    BBB would give me a much better chance at getting a conditional offer.

Mind you people who got DDE in their exams who were targeted AAA I hope don't keep their targets or I will be annoyed.
    I can't say for sure; depends on how hard you work at A2 and your teachers' professional opinion.

I got a reasonable C at AS Lit but was predicted a B. It just all depends.

Remarks only work now if there was some kind of technical error or judgement on marking; rather than whether the examiner was too harsh or not. So I don't think it's worth it.

Well in theory you can apply to any uni you'd like. But you wouldn't do that - you need to be realistic in what unis are asking and making sure your personal statement is good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I can't say for sure; depends on how hard you work at A2 and your teachers' professional opinion.

I got a reasonable C at AS Lit but was predicted a B. It just all depends.

Remarks only work now if there was some kind of technical error or judgement on marking; rather than whether the examiner was too harsh or not. So I don't think it's worth it.

Well in theory you can apply to any uni you'd like. But you wouldn't do that - you need to be realistic in what unis are asking and making sure your personal statement is good too.
    Cheers !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.