Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Application Form watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do I have a better chance to get into Cambridge, if I write an additional personal statement on the CAF form or can I leave it blank? If I decide to write something, what shall I write?

ReputationRep:
    u should wirte a small paragraph in your CAF. Add anything about the specific course you have chosen, and the particular college. Additional info you could not add to your PS. What are you applying for btw?

ReputationRep:
    i had the same question,

i currently have the application in my hand...

i was told not to write specifically to a college because if you say that you only want to go to say 'kings', you won't be put in the pool...

jay

ReputationRep:
    well I was dropped into the pool even though I wrote specifically about the college - this decision is made upon how well your interviews went etc. Its up to you I guess, write what you're comfortable with. Obviously big up the course more...but you can always talk about cambridge generally if you dont wanna talk about the college, since they are all similar to each other.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been told it doesn't make a blind bit of difference if you leave that additional info box blank, because most people don't have enough space to write any significantly outstanding. It's usuall all the same dribble about finding the place beautiful etc etc

ReputationRep:
    At my school it is implied that the whole thing is mandatory, but my school has not been the most liberal of places lately!!!

ReputationRep:
    i didnt write anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    well I was dropped into the pool even though I wrote specifically about the college - this decision is made upon how well your interviews went etc. Its up to you I guess, write what you're comfortable with. Obviously big up the course more...but you can always talk about cambridge generally if you dont wanna talk about the college, since they are all similar to each other.

lol... ok ignore me then :P

jay

ReputationRep:
    I emailed a cambridge tutor about what I should write in the space (im applying for law) and he said that it is imperative to keep all comments brief; a replication of your PS will just annoy them as it is superfluous

ReputationRep:
    If you have anything special that you really need to say about the Cambridge course or Cambridge specifically, that's what the box in the PAF is for. If you don't have anything pressing or different to say, don't use it - it'll just pee off the admissions tutors to have to read yet more stuff without a proper reason, more than likely. I didn't bother to fill the box in: anything I said about my course that wasn't in my personal statement would just have been quoting the prospectus, so it seemed a bit pointless. And I got in so it obviously doesn't matter if you leave it blank

edit: and the comment about not writing about a specific college - absolutely bang-on. Save the gushing over the college for the interview

ReputationRep:
    I didn't write anything either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    u should wirte a small paragraph in your CAF. Add anything about the specific course you have chosen, and the particular college. Additional info you could not add to your PS. What are you applying for btw?
    I'm going to apply for Chemical Engineering or Natural Science. Haven't decided yet ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missgalaxy)
    Do I have a better chance to get into Cambridge, if I write an additional personal statement on the CAF form or can I leave it blank? If I decide to write something, what shall I write?
    i didn't write in there and i still got an interview. my reasoning was that this gave them more to test me on on interview and if I couldn't think of anything else to say straight off my head, then why make something up for them to test me on - they do this every year and know if it has just been written to please them.
    however, i didn't get a place overall nor did I get pooled (i applied to downing) - perhaps this had something to do with it, but im not convinced. if they want you, they want you regardless of what you write on the form as really, this is a preliminary test just to sort out the top 30 from all the hundred of applicants.
    If you want to go in with your best chances though, then why not write in the box - your not loosing anything and won't wonder 'what if' like me

ReputationRep:
    I think you have your answer there. If you can't think of anything useful to put in there yourself, then there isn't much point writing in it. I left mine blank...didn't seem to make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    As the UCAS statement covers applications to up to 6 unis, it obviously has to be general.

The Cambridge personal statement allows you to indicate the reasons for your preference for the uni, course etc. and other pertinent information without antagonising other unis admissions tutors!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I think you have your answer there. If you can't think of anything useful to put in there yourself, then there isn't much point writing in it. I left mine blank...didn't seem to make any difference.
    I wrote some stuff about being a smart ass.. I didn't want to sound like an intellectual snob on other apllications, but guessed that's what Cambridge wanted to hear.

I got my place (u/c offer for medicine), and I think Squishy got his too (and he left his blank) - so it's really up to you

ReputationRep:
    If you decide to write something in it....make sure its specific to cambridge and its course.

Me...i can't remember exactly what i wrote.....but it was something along the lines of:

I believe that the breadth of the Cambridge law tripos would give me a good basic grounding in pursuing a career in law (something like that..the wording was better ). Also, i believe that i would benefit greatly from the supervisions that are on offer to Cambridge students.

So i specified the law tripos at cambridge and supervisions...both things unique to cambridge.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I wrote some stuff about being a smart ass.. I didn't want to sound like an intellectual snob on other apllications, but guessed that's what Cambridge wanted to hear.

I got my place (u/c offer for medicine), and I think Squishy got his too (and he left his blank) - so it's really up to you
    Unconditional offer at cambridge for medicine??????? How? How how? Any tips here for me? I wanna apply for medicine at cambridge for yr 2005!!! (except I don't have three sciences - tis why I'm taking maths AS come september. But it's always been my worst subject and I need an A at AS and my extremely multi-talented in particular maths friend said maths is hard. Ummm.) - but I may switch to Natural Science or switch to Med after getting in NatSci - what are the chances of switching to med after getting in?

But - tips? Any???
    (You can tell I'm desperate, can't you? Maybe I'm not cam material cus I'm not hard-working at all - I'm probably the worst in all my friends - one's got a cam offer, one's heading for cam, one's just graduated with a first from cam, ummm - that leaves me where?)

ReputationRep:
    Places for medicine are limited by the NHS so the chances of switching are slim to nil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Unconditional offer at cambridge for medicine??????? How? How how? Any tips here for me? I wanna apply for medicine at cambridge for yr 2005!!! (except I don't have three sciences - tis why I'm taking maths AS come september. But it's always been my worst subject and I need an A at AS and my extremely multi-talented in particular maths friend said maths is hard. Ummm.) - but I may switch to Natural Science or switch to Med after getting in NatSci - what are the chances of switching to med after getting in?

But - tips? Any???
    (You can tell I'm desperate, can't you? Maybe I'm not cam material cus I'm not hard-working at all - I'm probably the worst in all my friends - one's got a cam offer, one's heading for cam, one's just graduated with a first from cam, ummm - that leaves me where?)
    Unconditional cos Pol is applying post-a-levels..so he's alrady got the grades they would normally offer. He's sooooo lucky!!

G

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.