The Student Room Group

Boyfriend needs maths

Hi Guys, (Skip to the end for a shortened version)

Im hoping someone can help us. My boyfriend wants to become a mechanical engineer so he can progress in his current workplace.

He applied for his HNC this year and was denied because he was an apprentice, but by the time he would have started the HNC he would no longer be an apprentice its crazy!

So he asked if he could do his maths this year, long story short they've told him no, he can do it next year. they've been saying 'next year' for 3 years now and keep blocking him trying to make progress. Plus chances are they'll stop him again next year. So were taking matters into our own hands. If they wont help him, I will. So I want to know his options.

He needs his A/AS level in mathematics, we've looked at night schools, distance learning, colleges, uni's, schools and everything else we can think of . He's 21 now so what are his options?

Anything anyone can think of might be of some use, I just want him to get where he wants in life, any information or experiences you've had might be useful to us!

--

tldr; Boyfriend wants to become a mechanical engineer but needs maths, what are his options on getting his maths A/AS level so he can do his degree in the future and where can we look?

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

You might want to look at an Access to higher education, obv one that focusses on maths, physics & engineering.
A lot of the time these are available as evening & distance courses.
Just make sure he confirms they will get the depth of the maths modules he needs to take the HNC or degree he is looking at

Quick Reply

Latest