Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a UK national, born in the UK with a UK passport, and have been accepted as a UK student by my University. My family have only one home, in the UK. However, they work for the United Nations and we have been posted overseas for five years. On the Student Finance form PN1 I am asked about addresses. Mine and my parents addresses are the same. If I give the overseas addresses will I be eligible for finance? Alternatively, am I normally resident in the UK and should give our UK home address on the basis that my parents were only posted overseas beyond their control in a similar manner to embassy staff? Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

You should put exactly where you actually lived during the times in question, so where would you describe as your permanent home?

Where exactly did you reside overseas?

UK students who have resided overseas outside of the EU, and the leave was considered 'temporary' will still be eligible for funding, but you will be asked for evidence of this.

Also, if the areas you resided in were within the EU, you have exercised your 'right to roam', and as a UK national you can still receive full funding so long as the 3 years immediately before your course were spent in the EU.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Brian,

Thanks.

My permanent home is in the UK. This is where we always return for holidays etc. My parents have been working for the United Nations in Kenya, at different addresses, and i have accompanied them. I was advised by the British embassy in Kenya that our diplomatic status as UN workers should mean that we are treated as embassy staff who are assumed to be UK resident other than their posting. The University accepted UK status on this basis and because my parents are registered for tax in the UK at our home. Does this help? Thanks. Robert.

(Original post by Brian SFE)
    Hi there.

You should put exactly where you actually lived during the times in question, so where would you describe as your permanent home?

Where exactly did you reside overseas?

UK students who have resided overseas outside of the EU, and the leave was considered 'temporary' will still be eligible for funding, but you will be asked for evidence of this.

Also, if the areas you resided in were within the EU, you have exercised your 'right to roam', and as a UK national you can still receive full funding so long as the 3 years immediately before your course were spent in the EU.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    SFE yesterday said "UK students who have resided overseas outside of the EU, and the leave was considered 'temporary' will still be eligible for funding, but you will be asked for evidence of this". This matches my understanding of "ordinarily resident" in the UK for others such as embassy staff who similarly hold diplomatic status.

As I will be travelling to start University in a fortnight I wish to be certain I take with me all documentation that might be required by SFE to process my application. I have not found anything in the SFE literature about such a situation. Could you advise me of the kinds of information that may be requested of me?

Thank you very much for your guidance.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

You will be classed as ordinarily resident in the UK, but will be asked for your past 3 years address history which may show addresses outwith the EU and may be queried.

Evidence is normally anything you may have to show your reasons for being overseas, it can be anything from parent's employment contracts to show the nature of their work overseas to any temporary work visas or permits you may have been issued.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Brian.
    My parents have 2 x 2-year contracts for 2012-14, and 2014-16 with the United Nations in Nairobi. These I will bring with me.

We have stayed at various residential addresses during that time, but maintained a single PO Box number as postal address. I can quote residential addresses in Kenya, although residential addresses are hard to prove as there is no central record of addresses, and all mail is delivered to PO Boxes. Neither banks nor workplaces keep residential records for their customers and staff.

I can also give our permanent UK address, and things like my driving license and my bank account quote that address. My passport was also delivered to this permanent address. Is this likely to be sufficient for SFE purposes, or would you advise further documentation?

I appreciate your guidance with this. Thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.