Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got my AS results last week and got an average UMS of 91%. I have very strong GCSEs, and got an A* in the EPQ, so I hope that this will make up for the slightly lower UMS average. I want to apply to Cambridge for MML, but am having trouble choosing a college. I'm not really sure about whether I'd prefer a college with lots or few people; can anyone run through the pros and cons of each? I've also thought about an open application, but I really don't want to go to Girton due to the location. Is it likely that I'd be allocated Girton through an open application, since I think it gets less applicants than average?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer8ell)
    Hi, I got my AS results last week and got an average UMS of 91%. I have very strong GCSEs, and got an A* in the EPQ, so I hope that this will make up for the slightly lower UMS average. I want to apply to Cambridge for MML, but am having trouble choosing a college. I'm not really sure about whether I'd prefer a college with lots or few people; can anyone run through the pros and cons of each? I've also thought about an open application, but I really don't want to go to Girton due to the location. Is it likely that I'd be allocated Girton through an open application, since I think it gets less applicants than average?

Thanks
    No. A computer system randomly chooses a college for you.

ReputationRep:
    Girton really isn't as far away as everyone makes it out to be, especially if your department is based on the west cambridge. I'm an engineer and I can get to the department in less than 15 minutes

ReputationRep:
    Also, every Cambridge student will recommend their own college if you give them a chance :-P

ReputationRep:
    No college is that far away from the city centre if you have a bike.

If you apply open you're more likely to be allocated a college that fewer people apply to directly (e.g. Trinity are allocated few if any open applications, Medwards and Newnham get tonnes). Everyone loves their college though so if you get in you'll be happy anywhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.