Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm in need of help! I got A* A* A last week (predicted A* A A) with v high UMS (full marks on one). I have a place at a RG uni (offer was A A A) but I'm wondering if I should try for Cambridge next year? I'm scared of the risk - no so much of rejection by Cambridge as I know that's always possible & even good grades are not a guarantee, but of being rejected by the uni where I have a place if I apply again...and by others I suppose. Can't think why they would but it's a nagging one..
    My school says they will support me 100% if I want to go for it even tho I will have officially 'left' & my PS and ref are said to be 'outstanding.' Had 4 RG offers. I would be applying for Philosophy.
    Any advice? Apologies if this is the wrong forum.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I wouldn't get too hung up on RG unis. If you're very keen on Cambridge go for it but make sure you meet the entry requirements. If you meet the entry requirements at your other unis as well then there's no reason to be worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I wouldn't get too hung up on RG unis. If you're very keen on Cambridge go for it but make sure you meet the entry requirements. If you meet the entry requirements at your other unis as well then there's no reason to be worried.
    I do meet all the requirements. Just rang admissions tho & they said don't do it if I already have a good uni place, as the risk is too great. I do find it hard to understand that the chance is no higher with already achieved high grades, than it is with possible ones!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sandstone)
    I do meet all the requirements. Just rang admissions tho & they said don't do it if I already have a good uni place, as the risk is too great. I do find it hard to understand that the chance is no higher with already achieved high grades, than it is with possible ones!
    Remember that admissions have seats to fill! But I do agree that unless you absolutely have your heart set on applying to Cambridge don't give up your current place.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sandstone)
    Very good people with strong academics unfortunately do get rejected from Cambridge. Yes, you would be a competitive candidate but there are no guarantees.

Also, there will be others at your university with A*A*A.

Apply to Cambridge if you like, but in the knowledge it may be unsuccessful. But you would still almost certainly get another offer from your current university so that would be a good insurance.

Or take the current place, and if the Cambridge idea still appeals, apply for a masters with a good 2:1+ under your belt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.