Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, it's the first time I post here: you all seem like a lovely bunch and really hope that someone can help me!
    I have a BA (2:1) in English and and MA (Merit) in Classics and Ancient History from 2 different universities in the UK. After completing my MA I joined the business world and have been out of academia since 2013- so 3 years. I would like to return to university and do a PhD in Literature, but not in the UK; rather, in Europe. I've had a look at the PhD Portal website, and there are some universities abroad that offer courses in English, but I'm concerned about the procedure. Did any of you apply to do a humanities related PhD abroad and if so, how did you find it? How do I go about my application- i.e. would I have to contact potential supervisors like you do in the UK? Are my chances of doing a PhD ruined owing to the fact that I've been working in the past 3 years? Any advice would be welcome! Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, every now and then I look at discussion forums on TSR but it’s the first time I post here: you all seem like a lovely bunch and I really hope you can give me some advice/guidance!
    I have a BA (2:1) in English and and MA (Merit) in Classics and Ancient History from 2 different universities in the UK. After completing my MA I joined the business world and have been out of academia since 2013- so 3 years. I would like to return to university and do a PhD in Literature, but not in the UK; rather, in Europe or Switzerland. I've had a look at thePhD Portal website, and there are some universities abroad that offer courses in English, but I'm concerned about the procedure. Did any of you apply to do a humanities related PhD abroad and if so, how did you find it? How do I go about my application- i.e. would I have to contact potential supervisors like you do in the UK? Are my chances of doing a PhD ruined owing to the fact that I've been working in the past 3 years? Any advice would be welcome! Thanks x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Each country and uni will have a different process so you really have to research these things. Contacting supervisors is generally a good idea anyway so you get some idea of what is expected and what is on offer. Your work experience will probably help rather than hinder your application.

ReputationRep:
    your career in business would be an asset in application as you can transfer some skills. 3 yrs is a good stint as you have not been too long out of uni. Best way is to contact potential supervisor and enquired about funding.

Humanities PhD in Europe is a vast field, it depends on national rules and funding. Generally speaking, less funding in humanities than STEM. Incidentally, in some countries (Benelux, Sweden, Germany and Switzerland) PhD students are employed by the uni under public sector collective agreement. Hence you would pay income tax and national insurance. In return, you have some employee rights and it counts toward your pension. But some cash strapped departments in Germany offer only a half position at 50% of normal rates. Depending on country and uni, you may need some working knowledge of local language to do your TA duties.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.