Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm currently about to start my gap year and I was wondering if it is possible for me to self teach national 5 physics. Also, if it is possible what steps do I need to take in order for me to be able to self teach national 5 physics.

ReputationRep:
    Completely possible. Buy the How to Pass National 5 Physics textbook and use BBC Bitesize for notes as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Completely possible. Buy the How to Pass National 5 Physics textbook and use BBC Bitesize for notes as well.
    Thanks for the reply. Do I have to register with the sqa or something cause i'm doing this independently??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PND98)
    Hi guys,
    I'm currently about to start my gap year and I was wondering if it is possible for me to self teach national 5 physics. Also, if it is possible what steps do I need to take in order for me to be able to self teach national 5 physics.
    (Original post by PND98)
    Thanks for the reply. Do I have to register with the sqa or something cause i'm doing this independently??
    Hello
    I would say in terms of course content self teaching N5 physics is definitely doable. You would need to find a SQA registered centre (perhaps your former school) that would be willing to register you as an external candidate. If your school, or other ones in your area, will not accept you, you could try colleges (either in a night class, or as an external candidate), or there are some places that function as exam centres for external candidates (e.g. Wallace College in Edinburgh- not a normal college, just an SQA/ GCSE/ A level exam centre). If a school will take you as an external candidate, you may need to pay the examination fee. Remember you would also need to sit unit assessments and undertake a small amount of practical work to gain the course award, as well as the assignment. If you have any more questions about self teaching(I have experience) or N5 physics, feel free to ask. Hopefully this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    Hello
    I would say in terms of course content self teaching N5 physics is definitely doable. You would need to find a SQA registered centre (perhaps your former school) that would be willing to register you as an external candidate. If your school, or other ones in your area, will not accept you, you could try colleges (either in a night class, or as an external candidate), or there are some places that function as exam centres for external candidates (e.g. Wallace College in Edinburgh- not a normal college, just an SQA/ GCSE/ A level exam centre). If a school will take you as an external candidate, you may need to pay the examination fee. Remember you would also need to sit unit assessments and undertake a small amount of practical work to gain the course award, as well as the assignment. If you have any more questions about self teaching(I have experience) or N5 physics, feel free to ask. Hopefully this is helpful.
    Thank you for your reply, this was really helpful. Can i sit the unit assessments at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PND98)
    Thank you for your reply, this was really helpful. Can i sit the unit assessments at home?
    No problem . Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to do them at home, as they need to be done in controlled/exam conditions as you must pass them to pass the course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible!!!

Use BBC Bitesize for notes and also these websites really helped me:
    http://smarshallsay.weebly.com/national-5.html
    http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/

I would also buy a "How to pass N5 Physics" book including the Hodder Gibson Past Paper books for Physics. Although I never bought the how to pass books, I've heard they are really helpful, So go for them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.